Windows 7 How to tell if I have Ultimate retial or RC

JarvisCrow

Is there anyway to tell whether the PC I am on is using a retail version or the RC? I have been asking around and have been unable to find a definitive answer. I have tried comparing winver, dxdiag, registry keys, and system properties under control panel and from what I can tell all are exactly the same for RC and retail users.

Any ideas?

Call up the Run dialog in the Start menu. Type in "winver" without the quotes. the RC is version 7100 and Retail is 7600.

The original RC was 7100 but they also released the RTM beta at 7600 so it could still be set to expire.

There have only been 2 officially released versions of the beta. The original was the Beta 1, version 7000. Next was the RC, version 7100. All of those other versions were interim builds that were never officially offered by M$ as evaluation copies. They were all leaked onto torrent sites. The RTM, Version 7600 was also leaked. It's the same version they are selling now in stores. Those who continue to use that version are doing so illegally and will at some point lose it.

Back
Top Bottom