Windows 7 How to upgrade my windows 7 32 bt ti 64 bit?

Sai Vikas

How to upgrade my windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit?

I have a laptop that is perfectly compatible with 64-bit (I've verified it and I am very sure). I have installed a 32 bit version of windows 7. Now how to upgrade to 64-bit...? Remember, my installation dvd has no installation files for 64-bit. Please help.. thanks in advance

Last edited:
Re: How to upgrade my windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit?

You cannot run an upgrade from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. You will need to run a clean install necessitating backing up of all your data and reinstalling all apps. I always recommend a clean install anyway - avoids importing "baggage."

Sorry to say, but installation DVDs only contain the files for the bitness advertised...there's no way to "switch" once you're on a bitness. So, in your case, the "Repair" and "Upgrade" installation paths are not viable. Therefore, the only way to switch to 64-bit is to make a CLEAN install, so you may want to back up your data and programs in preparation for doing so. There are articles on how to perform clean installs in the tutorials section of this site.

There are "All In One" Windows 7 ISOs you can obtain, but there is no way to upgrade a computer from 32 to 64 bit. A clean install is recommended regardless, just in case anything left behind by the previous operating system causes issues with the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom