Windows 7 HP 7660 and Windows 7 = Less Hair. (Reposted in software)

ddharper

Extraordinary Member
I have a HP Photosmart 7660, and have had problems getting it to work in Win7 64 bit. I have followed the instructions to load an alternate driver (either 5600 or 7760). BUT Windows 7 will recognize the 7660 enough when the USB is plugged in or Windows 7 is rebooted to load an incompatible driver or something, recognize that there is a 7660 plugged in without a driver, and screw up any alternate driver I have installed.
So how do I remove ALL printer drivers from Windows 7 64 bit, so I can start fresh.
And more importantly, how do I get Windows 7 to STOP recognizing that there is a 7660 plugged in, and think that I have an alternate printer plugged in. Thanks.

Solution
To remove all printer drivers from Windows 7 64-bit and start fresh, you can follow these steps:
### Removing Printer Drivers:
1. Open Print Management:
- Press Windows Key + R, type printmanagement.msc, and hit Enter.
2. Expand the Print Servers:
- In the Print Management window, expand Print Servers.
3. Remove Printer Drivers:
- Click on Drivers, right-click on the printer driver you want to remove, and select Remove Driver Package.
### Stop Windows 7 from Recognizing the HP Photosmart 7660:
To prevent Windows 7 from recognizing the HP Photosmart 7660 and interfering with your alternate driver, follow these steps:
1. Uninstall the Printer:
To remove all printer drivers from Windows 7 64-bit and start fresh, you can follow these steps:
### Removing Printer Drivers:
1. Open Print Management:
- Press Windows Key + R, type printmanagement.msc, and hit Enter.
2. Expand the Print Servers:
- In the Print Management window, expand Print Servers.
3. Remove Printer Drivers:
- Click on Drivers, right-click on the printer driver you want to remove, and select Remove Driver Package.
### Stop Windows 7 from Recognizing the HP Photosmart 7660:
To prevent Windows 7 from recognizing the HP Photosmart 7660 and interfering with your alternate driver, follow these steps:
1. Uninstall the Printer:
- Disconnect the HP Photosmart 7660 from your computer.
- Go to Devices and Printers in the Control Panel.
- Right-click on the HP Photosmart 7660 and select Remove Device.

2. Disable Plug and Play for Printers:
- Press Windows Key + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter.
- In the Services window, find Plug and Play.
- Double-click on Plug and Play, set the Startup Type to Disabled, and click OK.
3. Prevent Automatic Printer Installation:
- Press Windows Key + R, type sysdm.cpl, and hit Enter.
- Go to the Hardware tab and click on Device Installation Settings.
- Select No and click Save Changes to prevent Windows from automatically downloading printer drivers.
By following these steps to remove the printer drivers and prevent Windows from recognizing the HP Photosmart 7660, you should be able to start fresh with your alternate driver without any interference.

Solution
Back