Windows 7 hp laptop vista 32 -> window 7 32 bit "Windows could not retrieve information about the disks"

oldyam60

I saw thread on similar problem and mentioned I need to make sure
services.msc -> Virtual Disk Service (VDS) to automatic and started. I made this change and click the install again. The same message shown again.

After message the VDS will stopped. I can restart and try install again. no luck.
I also try sfc/scannow and no luck.

My laptop is HP dv2000. Any help/hint is appreciated. I have been working on this since last night. :confused:

Last edited:
Hi,

I finally be able to load the window7 upgrade DVD. This is my recommendations.

1. Make sure you update to Vista Service Pack 2.
2. Disable your anti virus
3. Disable your firewall
4. make sure "virtual disk service" (vds) is "automatic" and "started"
5. in vds "Recovery" tab change "subsequent failures" to restart the service.

I did 1, 2, 4 first but still encounter "could not retrieve information about the disks" msg. There is thread mentions it works after this. I did extra 3 and 5 and finally manage the upgrade to work.

Hope this information can help you if you have similar situation. It is quite frustrate to try to resolve this. It is resolved.... :razz:

Hi,

I finally be able to load the window7 upgrade DVD. This is my recommendations.

1. Make sure you update to Vista Service Pack 2.
2. Disable your anti virus
3. Disable your firewall
4. make sure "virtual disk service" (vds) is "automatic" and "started"
5. in vds "Recovery" tab change "subsequent failures" to restart the service.

I did 1, 2, 4 first but still encounter "could not retrieve information about the disks" msg. There is thread mentions it works after this. I did extra 3 and 5 and finally manage the upgrade to work.

Hope this information can help you if you have similar situation. It is quite frustrate to try to resolve this. It is resolved.... :razz:

I hope you don't have problems with the "Upgrade" install. A lot of users have.

Most start to issues after about a week or so, so time will tell. You CAN do a full clean install using an upgrade disc by the way.

Go to Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows and check it out.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back