Windows 7 HTGCM is compressed. Hit ctrl + alt + del to restart

jesf

I used the disk clean function and thought I would be saving more space on the drive by checking the compress feature. Now when I boot up, after the Dell window the message shows up on a black screen, like a 'c' prompt screen HTGCM is compressed hit ctrl - alt - del to restart. When I do that just repeats the cycle. How do I get out of that and get the thing to boot up. I tried the boot up disc that the system creates for you and selected each of the options in turn down to the 'system image' one, because I don't have a system image of Windows 7 Ultimate. When I used the restore point, the result was "did not restore completely error# 0x800700b7". I have no original software cd's. Can anyone help?

Well - I get to reply to my own problem, to help someone out, maybe. I found out how to undo this situation. Real simpley. Put the affected drive in an external hard drive case, mine was an IDE, ATA, PATA drive, plug it in via USB to a laptop that is running windows, it shows the USB drive as a mass storage device,click my computer, right click what ever the USB drive letter is, properties, and under the disc usage pie chart uncheck 'compress drive to save space'. I have a couple of drives with different operating systems on them, so I took the primary drive out, the one that is in the computer, and booted up on the usb drive to see if that did the trick. It booted to windows, shut down, rebooted, the repair program started up to check the problem(s), said to unplug USB items and try again. I installed it as the primary drive and fired it up and it was restored to an earlier date working just fine, but with the addition of some updates needed for a few programs. Stay away from that compress disc option.

Back
Top Bottom