Windows 7 i can download files but they are not saving

jaymar13

Ive been spending the last few days going between many different support forums of windows 7, kaspersky and also yahoo answers in hope to fix this google-shy problem im having with no luck, replies even. so here i am feeling less than hopeful but maybe somebody might know on here...

when i try to download any application file (i believe they're most usually .exe file?) it opens the dialogue box and i am able to choose location and the file name. Once i have done so it sits at the bottom of my chrome browser until it shows the download is complete. once i click on it, it gives me the standard windows message ''windows cannot find (file pathway and name). make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again''.
So I tried internet explorer, i click on the completed download/or even try to open the containing folder and the same error msg crops up again.
I changed file locations, even onto a different internal hdd and also i changed the file name before saving, no success.
I figured it must be being seen as a virus by my kaspersky (windows defender is switched off btw) but couldn't find anything that seemed out of place to me (but then im certainly no expert with security programs because i just leave them to do there thing).

It was suggested i get hold of the kaspersky's getsysteminfo.exe (being an application i downloaded it onto a friends pc and brought it over via a usb) to send usage, spec and settings report which i did but unfortunately never got a reply from the forum. i looked at the report myself, with little clue what is normal or not... i convinced myself with a little googling that it was the 'nVidia forceware network access manager' causing the problem, i didnt even know i had such a program and it turns out to be a firewall 'software/hardware(!) thingy' i guess as part of my nvidia 680lt motherboard. so i uninstalled it and with that came no success either.

btw i forgot to mention files such as jpegs, docs, music andvideo files work fine, i can download them no problem without the file going missing, yet any file for a program such as google drive or getsysteminfo or whatever and my pc doesn't want know.

can a registry problem effect one type of file and the resulting behaviour, is it a virus even -kaspersky doesnt think so though... im very puzzled!

if anyone has any questions, suggestions please reply! regards jaymar

below ive added a link to my kaspersky report if it proves helpful;
GetSystemInfo Parser 2.96

That happened to me earlier with an xml file I was trying to download. It was bizarre. I was glad I had a copy of Firefox around, which downloaded it no problem.

I've found, when encountering similar inexplicable problems with Chrome, that reinstalling and/or deleting the user folder resolved it.

First go to google.com/chrome, download and install. No need to uninstall first.

If that didn't fix it, make sure you're logged into chrome and that your bookmarks, passwords, etc. are synced to your Google account so you don't lose them (you can verify here: chrome://sync). Do the same for any other Chrome user accounts, if you have any.

Now, close Chrome, go to %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\ in Explorer and delete the User Data folder.

When you log back into Chrome your new User Data folder will be created, minus the bugs, hopefully...

That happened to me earlier with an xml file I was trying to download. It was bizarre. I was glad I had a copy of Firefox around, which downloaded it no problem.

I've found, when encountering similar inexplicable problems with Chrome, that reinstalling and/or deleting the user folder resolved it.

First go to google.com/chrome, download and install. No need to uninstall first.

If that didn't fix it, make sure you're logged into chrome and that your bookmarks, passwords, etc. are synced to your Google account so you don't lose them (you can verify here: chrome://sync). Do the same for any other Chrome user accounts, if you have any.

Now, close Chrome, go to %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\ in Explorer and delete the User Data folder.

When you log back into Chrome your new User Data folder will be created, minus the bugs, hopefully...

thanks, i appreciate the reply but i dont think its anything to do with chrome, because i get the same issue with explorer. i had mentioned that in my hugely big post.

today i tried tagging .txt on the end as i saved it, and it allowed it through to my designated file location, i changed it back to just .exe and hey presto, its a working .exe that i managed to awkwardly get on to my. not a fix really though because it'll be very time consuming if i have to do this with all .exe i try to download!
maybe this sparks the proverbial light bulb for some tech-whizz reading this post though?

Hi

Try turning off, or down your security settings UAC, temporarily and see if it lets an .exe file through.
I usually get a message about this kind of file can be dangerous etc. but maybe yours is just blocking them without telling you.

It may be another anti malware program that you have installed as well.

Mike

thanks for the post.

I already have UAC turned off actually and I don't have any other anti-malware on the pc
-apart from perhaps the nvidia forceware network access manager. which is a firewall on the motherboard that is part software, part hardware -confusing i know, i dont really understand it but thats how it was described on one website. apparently its very secure because of how it works differently to other firewalls. also it seems very problematic...
i unistalled it and it doesn't seem to have effected anything for the better. hopefully it uninstalled correctly when i used revo uninstaller. as far as 'computer>uninstall programs' is concerned it is, yet i still have a few nvidia folder on my pc that hopefully are just standard ones for the motherboard.

update.

ive uninstalled kaspersky and bought the lastest version and done a clean install, updated its databases -no luck :(

Back
Top Bottom