Windows 7 I can't update Quicktime Player?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

This issue has been hanging around for months.

I get a notice that there are updates for Quicktime, so I tell it to go ahead and it always fails with an error that says Getlasterror 5:!

Today I decided to fix this so I did some research and found that it's a fairly common problem.

I didn't find any really concise answer, but Microsoft said to install a registry entry that adds the command "Grant Admin Full Control" to the right click drop down.

I did that, it will be interesting to see if that works for some other access problems.

However it didn't do anything for Quicktime.

It will not let me uninstall the old version and it won't let me install the new version.
I always get the Getlasterror 5, error which is caused by Windows not allowing the process to complete.

Any one else run into this.

I have seen posts that say to physically delete the Quicktime software but I don't really want to do that, I'm afraid I'll end up with no working version.

I'm open to suggestions, this isn't a big deal, because the older version is installed and working.

The same thing happens when trying to update ITunes, so it's and Apple, Windows thing.

These over the top security issues are the only thing that really bugs me about Windows 7, I've been dealing with these ever since I started running it in beta.

Mike

Do you know if you are getting the install/uninstall errors because of a partial uninstall? Would it help to try reinstalling the same version of Quicktime you currently have?

Or, do you believe you may have a corrupted install of Quicktime and need to clean your system? It looks like Microsoft removed the cleaner some folks used because of other problems, but have you gone through and deleted any folders/files and checked the registry for entries? And I see you may not want to go this route.

I do not use Quicktime, but I will try installing to see if I can pin down where there install goes. I assume it does not leave an install log, and there is no .inf file you could check?

Last edited:
I don't think that my installation is corrupted.
It is installed and works fine.

This is one of those permission things.

If I try and uninstall it it goes through the process and then at the end I get the GetLastError 5 message and it then backs out of the process, it shows the progress bar running backwards and it leaves it installed.

Exactly the same thing happens if I try and install the updates, it goes through the process and then I get the error message and it backs out or the installation.

Something just won't let it complete the process, not a freeze or anything like that, this is a deliberate controlled process of blocking the action and reversing it and the same thing happens with ITunes.

So this is only happening with Apple software, it's not that it's a problem as much as I just hate things that I can't get to work.

I'll check out the alternate software.

I have set Windows media player to be the default player for .move files but it always opens Quicktime to play them anyway.

Mike

I suppose you have seen this Link Removed - Invalid URL page about completely removing Quicktime and iTunes. Perhaps the order or the fact you have iTunes installed, requires them to be done in the same order.

Could any other software be controlling a folder/file and refusing access? Maybe trying in safe mode would help.

Yes and I just tried using Revo Uninstaller and the same thing happens.
I've found dozens of other people posting about this and no one really has an answer.

I guess I'll just forget about it for now and check again in a few months to see if a solution has come along.

On top of Windows not letting me run Norton Ghost this is a annoyance but at least the versions of Quicktime and ITunes that I have run, I guess I'll leave well enough alone.

I just wish it would stop telling me to update every time, when I log into either one.

I read posts from people who deleted there installations and now can't get it to install or run at all so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Mike

Sorry, but I still believe your install or a file associated with the install is corrupted. I have installed the 32 bit version of iTunes and have some idea of where the install is, if you ever want to know.

Back