Windows 7 i disabled my number of prosessers and now i can't run my computer!!

JackMike16

Alright, so i changed my number of processers to 1 to be able to run scarface the world is yours, so i saw some lags in my computer and ignored it, today i thought it was it, i tried to change it to two, i couldn't see it, i tried googling this or something, first thing i saw was something like "disable the number of procssers box" i disabled it, restarted my computer and I CAN'T RUN IT?!! i get 2 options, 1- start up fix and 2 start windows normally, i clicked normally first, didn't work, clicked startup fix, started somethings up and now it cant, it says i need to insert some CD/DVD or something, AND I DON'T HAVE IT!! i click start windows normally and it would just crash, give you that blue screen or whatever, PLEASE!!!! HELP!! ME!

Hello and welcome to the forum.
You make no mention of how, where or what you did to actually alter these settings but it is likely that the registry key found here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment (NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS)
has been altered.
The good news is..... if your machine has not booted successfully since making the alteration then perhaps you may be able to use "Last Known Good Configuration" option from the advanced boot menu which you should be able to access by tapping the F8 key during the startup / POST process. If that doesn't work then;
The bad news is.... you will likely be left with doing some offline registry editing. You'll likely need a Windows 7 Repair Disk which you can obtain from here Link Removed due to 404 Error or if you prefer a full installation media ISO which you can obtain here Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO – Official Direct Download Links to get into the Windows 7 Recovery Environment and launch Regedit and load the proper hive.
Read (completely) this Solved Changed msconfig settings, now I can't enter Windows - Windows 7 Forums
Regards
Randy

It should always be 1 - the other numbers are only for testing purposes.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
You make no mention of how, where or what you did to actually alter these settings but it is likely that the registry key found here has been altered.
The good news is..... if your machine has not booted successfully since making the alteration then perhaps you may be able to use "Last Known Good Configuration" option from the advanced boot menu which you should be able to access by tapping the F8 key during the startup / POST process. If that doesn't work then;
The bad news is.... you will likely be left with doing some offline registry editing. You'll likely need a Windows 7 Repair Disk which you can obtain from here Link Removed due to 404 Error or if you prefer a full installation media ISO which you can obtain here Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO – Official Direct Download Links to get into the Windows 7 Recovery Environment and launch Regedit and load the proper hive.
Read (completely) this Solved Changed msconfig settings, now I can't enter Windows - Windows 7 Forums
Regards
Randy
i ran it from some command that shows you your BOOTS or something like that? but how i'm i sopoused to type that "code" or whatever it is, in the computer with it not being able to run? i forgot to mention, that i'm typing this with my little sister's Laptop.

Trouble mentioned the Last Know Good option when booting with the F8 key to put into a repair scenario. If the registry was changed, that should help. Different systems may use different key combinations to reach repair utilities. F8 is normally the Windows 7 one, but it may be something like F5 during the splash screen, or something else. Your owner's manual should tell you.

Maybe this is where you got into the "worked once, but not again" situation, but have you tried booting into Safe Mode (F8) and run MSconfig.exe from there? The boot tab, Advanced Options button will take you to the processors setting page. And as WHS mentions, it should be a 1 with the box unchecked so the option is greyed out.

Trouble mentioned the Last Know Good option when booting with the F8 key to put into a repair scenario. If the registry was changed, that should help. Different systems may use different key combinations to reach repair utilities. F8 is normally the Windows 7 one, but it may be something like F5 during the splash screen, or something else. Your owner's manual should tell you.

Maybe this is where you got into the "worked once, but not again" situation, but have you tried booting into Safe Mode (F8) and run MSconfig.exe from there? The boot tab, Advanced Options button will take you to the processors setting page. And as WHS mentions, it should be a 1 with the box unchecked so the option is greyed out.
Safe Mode will not work.

Well, as you can see from the attachment, the setting is contained in the BCD Store used to boot the system. In order to remove it, you will need some way to edit the BCD Store using bcdedit.exe.

So you will probably have to boot to something, a Recovery CD if you made one, or an Install DVD you can download and burn as a DVD or flashdrive. Once in a command prompt you can use the BCDedit.exe utility to remove the offending entries. If you sister happens to have a Windows 7 computer using the same bit version, you can probably make a recovery CD with hers.

Let us know when you can get into some type of command prompt.

Attachments

• NoProcessors.GIF
    NoProcessors.GIF
    12.1 KB · Views: 345
Well, as you can see from the attachment, the setting is contained in the BCD Store used to boot the system. In order to remove it, you will need some way to edit the BCD Store using bcdedit.exe.

So you will probably have to boot to something, a Recovery CD if you made one, or an Install DVD you can download and burn as a DVD or flashdrive. Once in a command prompt you can use the BCDedit.exe utility to remove the offending entries. If you sister happens to have a Windows 7 computer using the same bit version, you can probably make a recovery CD with hers.

Let us know when you can get into some type of command prompt.
well godamn, i tought i know every thing abut my PC but i guess not, anyways, she has a Homepremium windows 7 and i have a pro windows 7, will that work?? and If i run "bcdedit.exe" it will run and with a millisecond it dissapears, any help?

One of the others may know better, but I think as long as it is the same bit version, it should boot the system so you could do a Startup Repair. It would not hurt to try anyway.

I reference the bcdedit command in case the Startup Repair cannot fix your situation. Since my system still boots, I cannot test. But if Startup Repair does not remove the entry, you can always use the Bcdedit /deletevalue command to do so. Bcdedit will not disappear in a command window, which is where you would need to be. If you can boot into something and Startup Repair does not fix the problem, then we go to the command window, type bcdedit and see if it has the numproc entry.

As Trouble mentioned, the entry should also be in the Registry in the HKLM section under BCD00000000.

Edit: In case you do not know, after you boot to the CD/DVD, you select a language and on the next window, lower left, there is a selection for Repair you Computer which you need to select. It may do something and and then ask to Repair and Reboot, which it should do, but you may need to run it again to get into the Startup Repair recovery options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom