Windows 7 I messed *something* up...

scicala

This was probably not one of the wisest things I've done on my computer. I was trying to use SMAC 2.0 on my Lenovo x200T with build 7100 of Windows 7. It wouldn't open because I did not have full control permissions in the registry. So I very wisely opened regedit and added full control for the administrator (me) for each HKEY_* .

Now when I use either the latest iTunes, or Songbird I can select a song, and it sets up as if it were playing, but stays stuck at 0:00 in both programs. I know sounds aren't completely disabled because I get feedback sounds from other programs. I've tried rebooting, uninstalling iTunes, reinstalling iTunes, all with the same result.

I'm not sure if the two are connected, but it's the only change I've made to my computer recently, and have never had any playback problems in the past.

Thanks,

Steve

Personally at this point,,, reload windows.

Then if you have the problem again with an install, just right click the setup file and run as admin
If that doesn't work, then talk to the Software Manufacturer about a fix. It will be on their side, not windows.
Don't try setting permissions in the registry. It's usually a bad idea.

reset permissions?

Is there a quick way to reset the permissions to what they were before I started messing around? Or a page where I can find what the default permissions are?

Back