Windows 7 Icon question

Mychal

Extraordinary Member
From the desktop create a new shortcut for services.msc. Complete the process and the services icon appears and works fine. My question is where is that particular (gear like) icon stored? or a link to a dl site would also suffice. Many thanks

Right click at your Services shortcut > select Open File Location .
That will lead you to where Services.msc is stored.

That's true but the icon associated with services.msc is the red toolbox not the blueish gear. Where is the "gear" icon stored?
Thank you.

You lost me.
See my desktop screenshot of service.msc and right click context menu.

Image 3.png

Last edited:
Is most likely inside of shell32.dll

services.exe contains the red tool box icon.

Axialis Icon Workshop is one of my favorite programs to manipulate icons, does a great job of embedded resources in DLL/EXE files.

davidhk
ok, now try to extract the icon and use it in a different shortcut.

Josephur
Yes there are similar ones in imagres32.dll also, but no that particular one.

To all,
This is far from important. I just thought it was weird to have a "ghost-icon" that could not be accessed.

davidhk
ok, now try to extract the icon and use it in a different shortcut.

I am assuming that you are asking me to do the above.
This is what I did......
after selecting Open file location > right click at Services.msc > click Send To > click Desktop (create shortcut).
I got the same "gear" icon shortcut on my desktop.

Sounds like you lost me again. Sorry.

I must strive for better clarity I know.
The gear icon for services is on the desktop. Create a new shortcut (not another services.msc). Then try to import the gear icon (from the services shortcut) through the right-click properties tab, change icon button to be used for the new non-services shortcut.
Ultimately my question is which dll, exe, ocx, etc is this particular gear icon stored?

Sorry, I cannot help you any further.

Please wait for someone with better knowledge to come along.
Good luck.

Back