Windows 7 Icons - Loosing their Identity

bht-at-home

Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded from 64 bit Vista Home to Windows 7 (64 bit) and am wondering whether I have made the correct decision.

I hate Icons on the desktop, so any program, or service, I use regularly, I "Pin/attach" to the Task Bar - This worked fine with Vista (Vista - you are forgiven).

I have done this with Windows 7, without any problems; except that frequently, I find that the highly attractive icon created by the manufacturer of the program, reverts back to a basic Microsoft icon (A little white icon, with the top right hand corner, turned in).

This is most annoying. Sometimes, I can get around this by re-installing the program, but other times, this does not work.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Brian

Try a clean install. We have had many complaints from users who have upgraded... So back up what you can then change your boot order to boot from disk and do a clean install. Hopefully your problems will be a thing of the past...

Hi,

Thanks for this advice, but I have tried, I think, all of the options, on loading Windows 7; namely:

The upgrade - this left icons on the desktop which could not be removed.

The Clean install without the Format Option

The Clean install with the Format Option

Brian

Hi,

Thanks for this advice, but I have tried, I think, all of the options, on loading Windows 7; namely:

The upgrade - this left icons on the desktop which could not be removed.

The Clean install without the Format Option

The Clean install with the Format Option

Brian

So your saying the last two in your list still didn't fix the issue?

Can you right click on the icon - properties and "change icon" fo reselect the graphic? If it is something like a .pdf file, can you re-associate it with a specific program.

I will look inti this - at the moment, I am re-installing Windows 7 and then subsequent software - I back up my operating system with Acronis - stage by stage. Hope to find out if it is one of my software packages causing the problem. I can usually find a means of restoring the correct Icin, but it is just fustrating to boot up and find many of my Icons have reverted to the basic Microsoft Icon

This problem continues even with the minimum of programs/software installed - Looks as if I will have to live with it, unless someone comes up with an answer

I'd re-install making sure you have all the correct and up to date drivers and then add your software one by one until the problem is reproduced..

Back