Windows 7 Icons obscured

xxxchopsakexxx

Hi, all of my icons are obscured by a picture of a disc. I've discovered that this only happens with program shortcuts, and not with folder shortcuts. How do I get rid of this?

You may want to clear the icon cache database. The icon cache can be cleared by deleting the hidden file named IconCache.db in the following location:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local
Note: %userprofile% represents the path to user profile folder.
If this doesn't work then try:
Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

So you want to return them to the default image? Try the other option in my solution as that usually works..

Try running the file checker, rightclick cmd prompt and run as admin. Then type:

sfc /scannow

Then hit enter. It will then run through and fix any corrupt files. Hopefully this will include the icons. Can I ask what happened? Did you try a transformation pack or something?

Have you tried 'system restore'? See if you can un-install the alienguise (stardock) app as well.
Did you try the file checker?

Back