Windows 7 ICS Issues

SpookyPHD

Hi,
So currently have 2 computers. My main computer is my desktop and my other is the laptop I am on currently. My Desktop has no wireless connection and is connected to my laptop via Ethernet cable. My laptop is then connected to the internet wirelessly and through ICS i have had normal internet on my desktop.
However, all of a sudden it is no longer connecting to the internet and no matter how many troubleshooting or ICS configuration, firewall disabling, etc. I have tried seem to fix it.
I cannot access the internet on the desktop and I simply have no idea what to do.
If someone could help (*With details on which computer to do what on(Host(laptop) or connecting(desktop))) It would be much appreciated.

Also I would like to add that I think the issue is that there is no Default Gateway on my desktop(not sure about host though).

After checking there is no default gateway on either connection. I added the Default gateway in both both connections on my Laptop and on my one desktop connection.

Last edited:
Hi Spooky! There are many reasons that keep you from connecting to internet.
Here are some that you might try. I'm sure other members will have more replies latter.;)See if any thing here helps you get back on line!
Wired and wireless network problems - Windows Help
Reset the modem
In some instances, the IP settings or network configuration that you receive from your Internet service provider (ISP) might be incorrect or need updating. Sometimes, the connection between the modem and the ISP might experience problems. To update the settings on the modem or the router, reset (restart) the modem. This creates a fresh connection to the ISP. Use one of the following methods to reset the modem, following the steps for your modem type.

To reset an external modem
  1. Disconnect the cable that connects your computer or router to the modem. This can be either a USB cable or an Ethernet cable.

2. Turn off the modem using the power switch on the front or back of the modem. If the modem doesn't have a power switch, disconnect the power cord from the back of the modem, or unplug it from the wall.
Reset the modem
In some instances, the IP settings or network configuration that you receive from your Internet service provider (ISP) might be incorrect or need updating. Sometimes, the connection between the modem and the ISP might experience problems. To update the settings on the modem or the router, reset (restart) the modem. This creates a fresh connection to the ISP. Use one of the following methods to reset the modem, following the steps for your modem type.

1. Disconnect the cable that connects your computer or router to the modem. This can be either a USB cable or an Ethernet cable.

2. Turn off the modem using the power switch on the front or back of the modem. If the modem doesn't have a power switch, disconnect the power cord from the back of the modem, or unplug it from the wall.
Reset the modem

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...7&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1

Last edited:
This doesn't help. I'm trying to connect my desktop to the internet. My laptop is connected and the internet is fine. This post has nothing to with ICS connecting.

ICS is pretty flaky in my opinion and you'd be better off spending $10 on a wireless nic dongle and saving yourself the trouble of trying to figure this out.

Back