Windows 7 IE 11

seekermeister

Honorable Member
This new version of IE was released in the last batch of updates, and I've been trying to decide whether to install it or not? The fact is that no matter how good or bad it may be, I will not be using it as my primary browser, I generally only use it when forced to.

I can't now remember why, but there was some reason that I never installed 10, but obviously that is not reason to turn a blind eye to 11. However, the fact that MS has also released an update blocker, must mean that some people won't take kindly to it, and the fact that even though it was listed among important updates, but wasn't checked by default reinforces that impression.

I'm certain that there are reasons that would make it better than my current version...9, but are there any reasons that would make it worse? If I did install it, could it be uninstalled, if I chose to do so?

.........the fact that MS has also released an update blocker..............
MS issued the same/similar blocker when IE10 was introduced to Win 7 users.

...........I'm certain that there are reasons that would make it better than my current version...9, but are there any reasons that would make it worse?

I think that is your subjective opinion. I started with IE7, then 8, then 9, then 10, never had problems.
Whether you want it or not is your preference.

........... If I did install it, could it be uninstalled, if I chose to do so?
Yes. In fact if your Win 7 came with IE8, you can use the tutorial below and revert your IE back to IE8.

Same procedures applicable to uninstalling all IE versions.
** Please pay attention to the bold prints ***
Start button > in the search box, type programs and features > Enter > left side, click View Installed Updates > scroll down to Microsoft Windows heading to find Windows Internet Explorer 11 > right click > click Uninstall.
Reboot. The system will revert back to its previous IE version automatically.

Last edited:
Since you used IE 10, perhaps you can tell me, because I've been reviewing it's bugs to some degree. I don't know what all of them may be, but one that apparently was common...if not universal, was that it disabled Aero, which in itself is sufficient reason that I wouldn't have cared for it. You didn't list IE 11 in those which you have used, is that because you haven't installed it, or that you haven't had it installed long enough to feel that you can comment on it? If you have installed it, is Aero still functional on your computer? Have you noticed anything else that you find disagreeable?

EDIT: Referencing your first statement, the blocker released previously were only similar, not identical. Apparently, the blocker has to be designed for specific registry keys depending on the version of IE in question.

EDIT: I wasn't familiar with Dragon's Den, so I went to that website and attempted to view the videos, and all I got was a black screen and an audio saying that this content is currently unavailable (using IE9). I then noticed that there was a yellow bar with the message that the website required a Windows Media Player extension installed, which may or may not be the reason the video didn't work. I never use WMP, so I didn't install the extension.

Last edited:
Re: Aero in IE10
I never use Aero in any IE version. So, I can make comment.

RE : with IE11, is Areo still functional.
I just installed IE11 10 minutes ago.
Since you asked, I went to check about Aero.
I went.... right click at desktop > personalize > Color > check Transparency box . Result ......it works.
I also went to Services and check on my Desktop Window Manager Session Manager. It says Started under Status.
(If DWM is disabled, no Aero ).

The reason I had not installed IE11 is because with my other laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro and IE11, I am not able to want the episodes of DragonsDen.cbc.ca, and I didn't know which was the culprit. Win 8.1 or IE11.
While using my Win 7 IE10, I was able to watch the episodes.
Now that I have installed IE11 to my Win 7, I can't watch the episodes anymore.
The culprit is IE11.

RE : The blocker
I can't find the article anymore. It said something like MS had withdrawn the IE10 blocker tool kit due to possible damage to registry.
IE blocker is designed for business where "upgrading" IE is a no, no. and all Updates are set to install automatically.
Home users can set Windows Updates to Manual, and " hide " the unwanted updates. Hence that blocker is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Since you have just installed it, I shall wait a bit longer before trying it out. In the past it seems that it took some time before complaints began surfacing. Apparently you have only run into one problem with it so far, with the episodes that you mentioned, but if that appeared so quickly, I feel sure that more will arise along the way.

Your first statement about using Aero in IE is somewhat confusing to me, because Aero is a feature that effects Windows in general, not just IE. The only time I usually run into any problems with it are when playing certain games that disable it, making my taskbar temporarily opaque, but it is automatically restored after exiting the game.

My statement was made in response to your comment.............
Since you used IE 10, perhaps you can tell me, because I've been reviewing it's bugs to some degree. I don't know what all of them may be, but one that apparently was common...if not universal, was that it disabled Aero..............

I hate IE 11, of course I am not crazy about IE since 8. I use Firefox with addons mostly.

More. I could deal with 10 but 11 causes trouble for me all the time. Pages not loading, getting stucked, having to use task manager to close, or a few times shut my computer down which I hate doing.

You can try it, but I just had to many problems with it. If you have 10, I would stay with it or use Firefox or another Browser.

Back