IE8 Beta download

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by kemical, Mar 6, 2008.

1. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I've just started using the new IE8 beta from MS and so far it seems an improvement over IE7. There are some new functionalities, like if you highlight a line, as if your going to copy and paste, a little button appears with a menu. I'm still getting used to it so I'm still discovering all of the new toys.... Those wishing to try it for themselves can get it here:
    Internet Explorer 8 Beta: Home Page

Just to add, this is more of a release for developers and please remember this is a beta. Further releases for us mere mortals are in the pipeline.
    More info' about IE8 with a tour of whats new is here:
    Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 - Tour | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com
    Here is a short video on IE8 by one of the dev' team:
    First Look: Internet Explorer 8 | Larry Larsen | Channel 10

2. superbill

superbill New Member

Hi Kemical

Thanks for that.
    Although I tend to use Firefox before IE, this IE8 Beta looks very promising indeed.
    It seems to load pages quicker and I am going to have a close look at the "Activities" and "Web Slices".

Has anyone else out there give it a go -- let us know what you think!!

3. kemical

Hi superbill,

I'm getting to like it more and more.. I've never tried Firefox maybe I'll give it a look over one day.

4. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

I'm also using IE 8..
    Have you had any issues with links not appearing on web pages? I noticed this when I went to install Adobe Flash player, on their page the download "pushbutton" link was missing. I had to use the emulate IE7 button on toolbar and restart IE to be able to find link. [​IMG]

5. kemical

I think your right about getting certain problems without running the IE7 emulator. I was trying to download the Crysis 1.2 patch the other day and man, I was getting bounced all over the place. I started running with the IE7 button pushed and hey presto. Still, it is only beta stage so...

6. Jim Haynes

Jim Haynes Lifetime Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

I have not and probably won't install IE8 until the final code is released but a heads up on an article I read the other day said that with Windows Update, some users who installed IE8 could not update Windows. Windows Update was asking for IE7. I think the article said that you could tell IE8 to "say it is IE7" (for lack of better phrasing) but just something to keep in mind I guess.

7. kemical

Hi, thats what we are discussing above.. As you rightly say, it seems better to run the app with the IE7 emulator running. I did get an update for defender the other day though, so the updates are still getting through.

8. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

I haven't had any update issues so far...[​IMG]

9. kemical

Hmm.... I found a Trojan today after doing a virus scan.. Not sure if this is anything to do with IE8 but I'm monitering the situation and thought I'd best let you guys know

10. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

Thanks...I'll run Panda and scan my junk and see what I come up with. [​IMG]

11. kemical

Hi fatboy,

hope you don't find anything... I was a bit shocked to find the trojan as I keep my system running pretty clean (or so I thought), it was hiding in my CPU-Z folder...:eek: People who make these things aught have their balls cut off.

12. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

I didn't find anything and yeah they should have their balls cut off and fed to 'em.:mad: