Windows 7 IE8 Issues

Ed Dixon

I’m using W7 a lot now for testing. As a result, I am beginning to notice some issues with IE8. From time to time, it appears to go stale. Current open tabs still work, but trying to connect to a web using a new tab fails. Doesn’t matter what site. Opening a new IE8 session has the same issue. However if I close the first one and all tabs, and start fresh, all sites connect as tabs are opened and used.

Anyone else seeing this? I am new to IE8 with W7.

Ed

I use IE8 64 bit on W7 and am trying to view a page which needs Adobe Flash Player but Adobe says:

Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.

:confused:

Pity IE864 is really good otherwise...

In IE7 on XP you can set up a tab group of favorite web sites. Then with one click, IE7 can open each of the tabs saved as new tabs on the current browser. This is very handy for folks that commonly use 4+ tabs most of the time.

Is there a simple way to do this with IE8?

Ed

I use IE8 64 bit on W7 and am trying to view a page which needs Adobe Flash Player but Adobe says:

:confused:

Pity IE864 is really good otherwise...
That is odd. Adobe has a plugin for Firefox in 64 bit Ubuntu that is a 64 bit flashplugin. It is Alpha software but it works fine with both Firefox 3.0.12 and Firefox 3.5.1. I'm using it in Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bit and Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit.
I would think that Adobe would have a version for IE8 in Win 7.
Flash in IE7-IE8 is actually an ActiveX control rather than a plugin.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

As you see from above, Adobe appears to have completly ignored both 64 bit IE8 and Firefox in windows.

I'm confused though. This thread from the Mozilla forum appears to indicate that there is a IE8 ActiveX available for 64 bit Win 7 RC.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=373034&forumId=1

Then there is this from "Tom's Hardware" forum.
Don't confuse a 64bit OS with a 64Bit [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]application[/COLOR][/COLOR].
Any 32bit app can still run on a 64bit OS, but IE8 has a 64Bit version that is the default in Win7.
Firefox is 32bit, so of course Flash will install properly. If you look in the program list for Win7 you will see 2 versions of IE8, 64 and 32 bit. Run the 32bit version and install Flash, then you will be able to see flash video.

Just think of it this way, the OS is the plate and the application is the food. You are using a big plate but the waiter can only bring you small portions of Flash on a saucer.
smile.gif

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/442-63-cant-play-youtube-flash-windows-64bit

The above may be the solution to your issue. I don't have any way to check as I don't have Win 7 RC 64 bit installed.

Ed, I am having the exact same issues with IE8 on Win 7. This is the x64 RTM version I'm running. In addition I get random IE has stopped working - debug or close app - I click close app and the dialog is the only thing that closes. It also continues to happen even if I close and re-open IE. There does NOT seem to be any rhime or reason to whether or not it will decide to work? :confused:

Very strange indeed.. I have been using IE8 with Windows 7 since the Alpha build 6801 and haven't had any issues aside from the Adobe Flash player on the 64-bit version.. ;)

Did these problems just start happening Ed or have they been happening since you first began using IE 8?

I solved my problem with this by removing AVG 8.5 Free (latest version). The BHO as an IE add-in doesn't play well with IE8 on Win7. As soon as I uninstalled it and rebooted IE worked perfectly again. Not good since I currently have no AV protection. Maybe by Oct 22 all will be well.

Gene

That is interesting as I also recently removed AVG (For a diff reason), and things seem to have been more stable.

Ed

Back