Windows 7 IE8 Skins

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Hi guys,
I want to change the colour of IE either by using a skin or registry hack. I've looked on the net but haven't been totally satisfied with what I've found so far.. Anyone have any good pointers?

Kemical,

You used to be able to make a custom graphic for IE (dropped in version 6), but you can still make a custom graphic in Windows Explorer.

It will take me a little time to look up the registry hack, bear with me.

The only other hack I have seen is being able to change only the toolbars graphics.
Should be the same as 6 and 7 shouldn't it?

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Sorry Kemical,

I thought I had it working on Windows 7 at one time, but it's not working now.

It dies work on Vista.......Windows Explorer and Windows Mail.

You have to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

Add a new string value called BackBitmap and fill in the directory path and file name to the .bmp files location.

You could also change the spinning logo in the right hand corner of IE, but it doesn't exists anymore.

I got it to work, but it only works with Windows Basic theme, not Aero.

Last edited:
Much thanks for the excellent replies..:)

I'll check out the links that Tepid suggested. :)

I've already changed the default name to one I want to see (via the registry) and I'll try your hack Reghakr for changing the colour a little later.

8 might have changed so much that those hacks don't work anymore and new ones will ahve to be found.
I have not done any testing myself

I've already made myself a custom title and am just in the process of trying the hack Reghakr suggested. I've had one unsuccessful attempt but think I know whats wrong...(I think lol)

You probably already know this but there are hundreds of extensions and themes to use with Firefox. You can customize it any way you want it.

Back