Windows 7 IE8 won't open links on pages (IE8, protected mode, Win7)

jcavalie

Hi -

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this issue:

Issue:
IE8 has some weirdness that prevents me from clicking certain links in pages and getting them to open - usually it is for links that need to open new windows. If I go in the IE security settings and toggle protected mode, it then generally works until I close IE. then I need to toggle protected mode again to get it to work again. I've unloaded my A/V SW (trend micro pro), lowered the security level of IE8 as low as possible, tried the advanced setting to "reset" IE8, etc. None of those things have solved the issue. It all seems related to the protected mode checkbox. It doesn't matter if IE thinks it is on or off when I launch the browser, as long as I toggle it one way or the other. For example, if you load this page: Swiss Philip Morris promo California crashed in Sofia - FerrariChat.com and then try to click the links to youtube in the first post, nothing happens. A process for IE8 shows up in task manager, but no window opens. Toggle protected mode, and click the youtube links and they work. Firefox 3.5.2 seems to work fine.

FWIW - I in my travils of trying to resolve this, I noticed something else that may or may not be related. My user agent from IE8 is appearing as Mozilla: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3) as determined from What is my user agent,http user agent info,browser user agent. I tried to deinstall Firefox, but that didn't make the problem go away either.

In addition to the example above, I can't click links in my yahoo email unless I also toggle protected mode.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

HTTP USER AGENT headerMozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)Browser branch nameIE 8.0Browser nameIEBrowser version8.0PlatformWin7Operation SystemWindows NT 6.1 (Windows 7)Browser full nameMSIE 8.0

Back