Windows 7 IE9 Beta

Sonny

Excellent Member
I have just installed IE9 Beta 64 bit on Windows 7 64 bit. I cannot use IE 32 bit browser now. Do I have to also install the IE9 32 bit browser also.:frown:

No you don't. Updating the 64 bit version on my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit) updated both versions. Use the about Internet Explorer link within the help menu to determine what version you are looking at, because the are relatively indistinguishable otherwise. The 64 bit version will actually state that it is 64bit the 32 bit doesn't say anything like that.

64 bit version should be here
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
32 bit version should be here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

Last edited:
Thanks for answering.

When I went to help menu this is what it said:

Version: 8.0.7600.16385
Cipher Strength: 256-bit
Product ID: 00359-030-1363771-85891
Update Version: 0

I have both the 64 bit and 32 bit browser in my computer. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Maybe just try and reload it again? Tried 32 bit browser but says wrong version for my computer.

Reinstalled with same results. IE9 in 64 bit works but IE9 in 32 bit does not open. Keep getting message that there is a problem and windows will notify me when there is a fix. I guess I will just wait until the final version comes out and then try to reinstall it. Thanks for help Trouble.

Sorry, I wasn't much help on that one. You don't happen to have the beta of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 running do you? There have been some reported issues with some problems running both betas on the same machine.

Reinstalled with same results. IE9 in 64 bit works but IE9 in 32 bit does not open. Keep getting message that there is a problem and windows will notify me when there is a fix. I guess I will just wait until the final version comes out and then try to reinstall it. Thanks for help Trouble.

Sonny try running windows update as you might be missing an update but if no joy try this page for info on IE9:

Internet Explorer Support

Trouble you gave me an idea where to check to make sure I had the right version. I would not have even done that if you had not mentioned. Thanks. Any suggestion is worth checking out.

Thanks Kemical, I checked for updates and it seems none are missing. I checked your link but can't find anything to do with my problem. I just wonder since I did a clean install to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, could that be a problem since it is an upgrade.

Right and thanks. Make sure to take a look at Kemical's link that he posted above before you do the uninstall thing you may find something useful, keep us posted.

Thank you Trouble and Kemical. I called microsoft and the answer was simple. The only thing that I needed to do was reset my browser. Now everthing is working but cannot use the Windows 7 forum tool bar. That causes IE 32 bit not to work. I am also having trouble getting in to comment here after signing in. I am sure I will figure out later what is going on. Just that I know the tool bar for window 7 forum does not seem to be compatible with IE 9. Thanks again for offering to help.

Ok, commenting is no problem now. Just the tool bar will not work with IE9 right now. Any suggestions as what might be the problem would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

I had some issues at first with IE9, so I decided to do a little tender loving care. I used Ccleaner, to clean up everything including the registry, performed a defrag on my system drive and it believe it or not, seemed to smooth things out considerably. Also have no problems with the site toolbar in the 32bit version. Never know give it a whirl, couldn't hurt

I did what you said and when that didn't work I removed it and reinstalled the tool bar, to know avail it freezes up my screen. I don't really have to have it but found it handy to use.

OK, so I just did the whole thing all over again. Removed IE9, cleaned up with Ccleaner ect.
Rebooted and reinstalled IE9.
Found the same issue that you are experiencing with the toolbar, could not understand why it had worked before and now it wasn't, so here is what I did.
Control panel, programs and features, uninstalled Windows 7 toolbar. Used Ccleaner again to cleanup it found three registry entries related to the Community Toolbar, I removed them and rebooted.
Opened IE9, tools (the gear thingy), manage add ons, look and made sure that the Windows 7 Forums toolbar was not an available option to enable or disable.
Launched the forum, went here http://windows7forums.com/software-updates/15856-windows-7-forums-toolbar-available.html
re-downloaded the toolbar, and ran it. Closed and reopened IE9, everything working fine again. Hope this helps you.

Thank you Trouble, I just did what you said and everything is working fine now. Thanks again for your help.

No you don't. Updating the 64 bit version on my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit) updated both versions. Use the about Internet Explorer link within the help menu to determine what version you are looking at, because the are relatively indistinguishable otherwise. The 64 bit version will actually state that it is 64bit the 32 bit doesn't say anything like that.

64 bit version should be here
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
32 bit version should be here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

I tried that and when it opens I receive the following:Error 20 Object doesn't support this property or method

enigma1944:
Hello. Since you quoted my post I feel compelled to answer if for no other reason than to assure you that people are looking at your post. However, your particular issue would seem, at least at first glance to exceed my level of knowledge on the topic.
If you could be a little bit more clear as to your question, I'm sure others here may have some insight to share with you.
I tried that
Tried what exactly, opening IE9, opening the "About Internet Explorer" link in the menu. Or something else entirely.
and
when it opens
What opens....see above.
I receive the following:Error 20 Object doesn't support this property or method
Sounds like a common VB error, have you tried event viewer, application and or system logs, look for critical errors and see if there is any further details.
I have noticed some unusual behavior with this beta, when I have multiple applications running in the background. Not your particular issue, but other peculiar stuff, so consider what software products you may have running in the background when using IE9 and attempt to minimized the number as much as possible.
You may have a bad install. Have you considered or already attempted to remove and reinstall it.
It's a beta product, and you'll probably hear that a lot. Not that that is a satisfactory explanation, more like an excuse but there are options for reporting bugs as Kemical points out in post #53 here .

EDIT: Sorry the link that Kemical posted is actually here post #60.

Last edited:
If you right click the area just to the right of the new tab button do you not have an option to select "Favorites Bar"?
See attachment.

Back