Windows 7 If I upgrade from Win7 Home Premium...

McGehee

...what happens, as far as Microsoft is concerned, to the Home Premium version I originally installed?

My wife's laptop has Vista, and I'm considering upgrading it to 7HP but would like to upgrade my desktop from 7HP to Pro or Ultimate. If I upgrade my system will I then be able to use the discs I used to install 7HP on my desktop, to upgrade her laptop, without any flak from MS?

Would I need to avoid using Anytime Upgrade, or would even that not work?

The upgrade is tied directly to your original OS, generally with a new OS product code. This is only good for one pc, if you want to upgrade more than one pc you will need another copy of windows 7, flavor of your choice.

Product Keys

If I buy discs to upgrade my desktop computer to another flavor of Win7 but not through Anytime Upgrade, that should get me a new product key for my machine, correct?

Does that free up the product key I used to install 7HP on that computer, to be used on my wife's laptop?

First part of question: Yes. Second part of question; No. Product keys are tied directly to an individual OS on only one PC. According to MS, the anytime upgrade is no longer for Vista. Here is that link.

Windows Anytime Upgrade: frequently asked questions

The only way that product key would be free is if it hasn't been used at all. If used it cant be used again.

I recommend you buy two copies of windows 7, your flavor of choice for each. Each will have it's own product key code for installation. I also recommend using newegg.com or tigerdirect.com for purchase of your OS and not through a retail store or MS website. Here is the links of each with pricing. You can save $20 to $50 on each version.

Windows 7: Get ready to buy Windows 7 for your own PC or a new one
Newegg.com - Operating Systems, Microsoft Windows 7, Win 7 Ultimate, Win 7 Pro, Win 7 Premium, Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows XP, Win 7 Upgrade.
Operating Systems, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP Server at TigerDirect.com

Back