Windows 7 Image Restore Error

kevin94z

Hi Everyone,
My hard drive stopped working yesterday, but luckily I have a recent complete system image on an external drive. I have since popped in another (different) internal hard drive to restore my image to. The problem is when I use the Windows 7 disk to get to the complete system image restore wizard, select the image on the external, then initiate the restore I immediately get an error message stating "...Backup failed...I/O device error (0x8007045D)".

I've tried numerous ways to get this to work but have run out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone,
My hard drive stopped working yesterday, but luckily I have a recent complete system image on an external drive. .... The problem is when I use the Windows 7 disk to get to the complete system image restore wizard, select the image on the external, then initiate the restore I immediately get an error message stating "...Backup failed...I/O device error (0x8007045D)".

Exactly how did your hard drive stop working, are you trying to restore the backup to the same broken drive ? Did you chkdsk it ? If the drive bit the dust, you need to remove it in order for the backup to work.

Last edited:
it was a WD VelociRaptor that started making clicking noises and then the motherboard wouldn't detect it anymore. So i replaced it with WD caviar black 500GB (drive runs great), and now im at this current situation with the I/O error.

If you have Windows 7 on your computer which I am assuming since you say the new drive works great, you may want to restore your computer from the control panel/advanced recovery options instead of the repair computer option on the recovery cd.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 422
i think i just solved that problem and now I've run into another (gotta love windows). i noticed that when i was in the partition management screen of the windows installation CD there was this 8GB unallocated space sitting there. after doing some research it seems as though the motherboard was the culprit, so i reset the bios and the 8GB disappeared.

Now the only disk/partition that windows can see is the 500GB WD. When i go to restore the image i am now getting the "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found" error. This error makes no sense since the recover-to drive is larger then the system image.

Now the only disk/partition that windows can see is the 500GB WD. When i go to restore the image i am now getting the "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found" error. This error makes no sense since the recover-to drive is larger then the system image.
If you were told the recovery drive had to be as large or larger than the entire partitioned space on the original drive, would it make a difference?

Do you remember where you got the information about your motherboard and the 8 GB partition? I have seen such partitions show up on installs where dual booting senarios were used, especially with XP.

Back