Windows 7 Image thumbnail cache not working

johntsouris

I have read the 20 or so issues from all over the internet about Windows 7 image thumbnail cache problems, this is different from all of them.

Whenever I open the pictures, videos, or any other folder, Windows takes a while to load all of the thumbnails each time. I have only 650 pictures in my Pictures Folder, and it takes 40 seconds to load all of the thumbnails. This happens each time I close and open the window. I have also erased the thumbnail cache via "C" drive disc cleanup, which one would think would cause the Pictures page to take even longer to open..... as it has to re-make the thumbnail cache.... but it is 40 seconds.

Now..... I have attempted to enable and disable thumbnail caching via registry changes. ( I want the cache on as I want to see thumbnails of images that load quickly when I open a folder.)

When I disable thumbnail caching in the registry, the pictures folder takes 40 seconds to load and the thumnail cache size according to Windows Disc "C" cleanup is a measly 3.27kb.

When I ENABLE thumbnail caching in the registry, nothing changes. Even though the thumbnail cache for 650 images should be at least a few MB, the cache size is still 3.27kb and the folder takes 40 seconds to load each time.

Now, I have no idea how to tell for sure if thumbnail caching is set to on or off, but it certainly appears that it is OFF.

There are also some blurbs on the net about not allowing the system to delete the cache file daily by not allowing system deletion of any files in the User's "Explorer" folder, thus keeping Windows from constantly erasing and re-writing the cache. I tried that, too, but it appears as if the cache isn't being created in the first place.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom