Improved CHKDSK Utility in Windows 8 w/Tutorial

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Tutorials' started by Adamsappleone, May 18, 2012.

1. Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone U.S.Navy D.A.V.

First: A little Information:

Full Article @ Microsoft Offering Improved CHKDSK Utility in Windows 8 -- Redmondmag.com

Tutorial for running CHKDSK:

There are 2 options to running CHKDSK (Check Disk) in Windows 8

Option #1:
    Run CHKDSK from "My Computer"

1. Open "My Computer" either from Programs or Windows + E

2. Right click the drive you wish to check and click on "Properties"
    [​IMG]

3. Click on the Tools tab, and click on the Check button under Error checking.
    [​IMG]

4. If no errors are found, you can either "Cancel" (close) or scan the drive anyway.
    [​IMG]

5. If errors are found, click "Repair drive"
    [​IMG]

When the scan or repair is completed, you can click on "Show Details" to view the results of the chkdsk logs from the "Event Viewer".

Option #2: Using Command Prompt (CMD) w/Administrative Privileges

1. Open the "Elevated Command Prompt"

2. The following Switches are the commands to be used, ones in red are new in Windows 8.
    You must place a space between each switch if more than 1 is used.

/F - Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.
    /V - On FAT or FAT32 volumes, displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.
    /R - Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked. Includes the functionality of /f, with the additional analysis of physical disk errors.
    /L:[size in KB] - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Changes the chkdsk log file size to the number size you type. If you omit the size parameter, typing /L displays the current size.
    /X - Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. Includes the functionality of /f.
    /I - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, which reduces the amount of time required to run.
    /C - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Does not check cycles within the folder structure, which reduces the amount of time required to run.
    /B - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Clears the list of bad clusters on the volume and rescans all allocated and free clusters for errors. Includes the functionality of /r.
    /scan - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Runs a online scan on the volume.
    /forceofflinefix - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Must be used with /scan switch. This will bypass all online repair and set aside (queue) for offline repair.
    /perf - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Must be used with /scan switch. Uses more system resources to complete a scan as a fast as possible.
    /spotfix - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Runs spot fixxing on the volume.
    sdccleanup
    - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Garbage collect unneeded security desciptor data. Includes the functionality of /f.
    offlinescanandfix
    - Runs an offline scan and fix on the volume.

This concludes the CHKDSK Tutorial for Windows 8

Don

#1 Adamsappleone, May 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Drew

Drew Banned

Re: Improved CHKDSK Utility in Windows 8

The above is, certainly, valid. somewhere in this Forum I had put the following...

Disc check in Windows8 ( I did this in my Win8 CP, to confirm ) done thusly:

> cmd, Run as Admin. Type, chkdsk /scan

&, yes, I do know/see it is listed above. Think of this command line as the 'basic' check disc & the others as additionals.

Check it out for yourselves.