Windows 7 Inadvertent folder deletion

shermn8r

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on Toshiba Qosmio - I've been experiencing random folder deletions. Today I was deleting a single video from a folder when I got the msg "too big for recycle bin - permanently delete?" I clicked yes and the entire folder disappeared. This happens maybe once every couple of months. I just ran Recuva and recovered 12 of about 60 files that were in the folder. I'm running it again on Deep Scan to see if it will find any more.
I have a 1TB drive partitioned to C: 400GB; D: 600GB and recycle bins are set to 25000MB (C:) and 37000MB (D:).
I don't know how many files I've lost since I bought this piece of shiite qosmio. In the beginning I didn't even realize I was losing entire folders.
Does anyone know wtf is going on with this?

Not really sure of what is happening, but how are you selecting the files you want to delete. Maybe see if you can move them to another folder first to see what happens, and if things look OK, delete them from there.

All I can come up with is you are not able to select the specific files, possibly because of a mouse problem.

There is an option on the Recycle Bin properties that you might be able to display a confirmation dialog. But I am looking at Windows 8 right now and not sure if Windows 7 has that.

Make sure that you select the file on the right (detail) side of the explorer windows. If there is only one file, users sometimes forget that they navigate to the folder using the left (tree) side panel.

This event also occurs when the mouse is not working properly (as previous poster) or the wireless (mouse) signal is weak or blocked. In this case the user clicks the file (but the mouse click event didn't occur), the user delete (thinking it's the file) but in reality it's the folder that's being deleted. Use right-click | delete.

Make sure that you select the file on the right (detail) side of the explorer windows. If there is only one file, users sometimes forget that they navigate to the folder using the left (tree) side panel.

This event also occurs when the mouse is not working properly (as previous poster) or the wireless (mouse) signal is weak or blocked. In this case the user clicks the file (but the mouse click event didn't occur), the user delete (thinking it's the file) but in reality it's the folder that's being deleted. Use right-click | delete.

You might be on to something. My cursor seems to jump on me at random times, plus pressure on the case to the left and right of the touch pad often cause a "control key" function - I've been told it's an overly sensitive touch pad, but the Control Panel settings seem to be OK.
So this is the scenario you think might be happening - while attempting to delete a file, the cursor jumps back to the previous window, highlighting the entire folder rather than just the one file, right? I'm using right-click/delete, from the touch pad (no mouse).
So what I have is reason #529 to hate my toshiba qosmio.

You might be on to something. My cursor seems to jump on me at random times, plus pressure on the case to the left and right of the touch pad often cause a "control key" function - I've been told it's an overly sensitive touch pad, but the Control Panel settings seem to be OK.
So this is the scenario you think might be happening - while attempting to delete a file, the cursor jumps back to the previous window, highlighting the entire folder rather than just the one file, right? I'm using right-click/delete, from the touch pad (no mouse).
So what I have is reason #529 to hate my toshiba qosmio.

A laptop! It favors the probable problem.... It happens to users more than they realize....
Just becareful to see what's highlighted if you use the delete key.... right-click (right-pad tab) keeps the mouse pointer on the item when you move it down to delete. It's after.

The common thing (that I have seen with laptop user and a sticky mouse cursor, i.e. user with heavy touch) was the user select a folder, moved the mouse not realizing they are dragging the folder when they let go - Windows moved the entire folder in a blink of an eye without a notification. Users panic thinking that they had lost the entire folder....

A laptop! It favors the probable problem.... It happens to users more than they realize....
Just becareful to see what's highlighted if you use the delete key.... right-click (right-pad tab) keeps the mouse pointer on the item when you move it down to delete. It's after.

The common thing (that I have seen with laptop user and a sticky mouse cursor, i.e. user with heavy touch) was the user select a folder, moved the mouse not realizing they are dragging the folder when they let go - Windows moved the entire folder in a blink of an eye without a notification. Users panic thinking that they had lost the entire folder....
r
Yes, that's something else I experience all the time. It happens to me when I tap the touch pad too fast to do something. Right now I'm trying to find a folder that got inadvertently dragged/dropped somewhere.
All the problems that I experience right now never happened to me with either my 2007 WinXP/WinVista Gateway laptop, or my 2009 Win7 Gateway laptop. I know it's just me, that I'm a little heavy handed with the touchpad, but still....... this Qosmio touchpad is getting the best of me.

r
Yes, that's something else I experience all the time. It happens to me when I tap the touch pad too fast to do something. Right now I'm trying to find a folder that got inadvertently dragged/dropped somewhere.
All the problems that I experience right now never happened to me with either my 2007 WinXP/WinVista Gateway laptop, or my 2009 Win7 Gateway laptop. I know it's just me, that I'm a little heavy handed with the touchpad, but still....... this Qosmio touchpad is getting the best of me.

Adjust the touchpad sensitivity - Control Panel | Look for Touchpad or Mouse....

Adjust the touchpad sensitivity - Control Panel | Look for Touchpad or Mouse....

I just went thru all the touchpad settings and found something interesting - under Pointing - Sensitivity there are two options - PalmCheck and Touch Sensitivity. Not sure how or why I've been overlooking these, but changing their settings may be what I need. Thanks.

Back