Windows 7 Incorrectly Displayed Folder Icons

ParadoxKing

Recently my Folder Icons have started to display incorrectly.

They appear like this:

foldericons.png

I tried deleting the icon cache in hopes that Windows Explorer would recreate it hopefully fixing the problem. However Explorer never recreated the cache file. This has me worried that something is seriously wrong with my win7 installation. Any ideas?

there was no 3 value set in the first place. I set it logged on and off, then restored the default icon, which accomplished nothing. any other ideas?

Note in Windows 7 each user has their own file that is called Iconcache.db:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Iconcache.db
Close down all explorer.exe processes using the Task Manager (Or else it will create a faulty file at logoff)
Rerun explorer.exe is enough

Uninstall TweakUI if you have it installed. (or use it to fix the problem. It has an icon fixer if I'm not mistaken)

To automate this process open notepad and paste the code below, save it to desktop as RefreshIcons.bat, double click on the file and you are all set. You can do this every time the icon cache needs to be rebuilt. Make sure all your applications are closed whenever you run this.
taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
attrib –h IconCache.db
del IconCache.db
start explorer

You can also try changing the size of the icons: This helped others with your problem:
Rebuild icon cache to fix incorrectly displayed icons | Troubleshoot | Smallvoid.com

Last edited:
2 things, No tweakui for windows 7. And more importantly, I don't think you read my original post. That deleting the icon cache didn't work. and windows explorer didn't even recreate it after I restarted explorer.

1. Here's TweakUI for windows 7:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

2. I did read your post. I wrote what I wrote because I read in other places that people had deleted the wrong icon cache and after deleting the one in %userprofile%\AppData\Local, it resolved their issue. If it didn't help, I'll keep looking for you.

3. Try to see if you can fix just ONE folder by right clicking it, go to properties, costomize, change icon, and click "restore icon".

4. You should try this:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117229-icon-cache-rebuild.html
Make sure you try the bitdepth option.

5. Some people reported after deleting icon cache, it only got fixed after a few reboots and emptying the recycle bin.

6. Are those files or folders in the picture? (Yes I read your post - just asking to be sure). It might be a file association problem. Fix that here:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/178915-file-extension-type-icon-change.html

7. The problem here is not the same but the solution might help you:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

8. Try a restore to point before the problem started.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom