Windows 8 INetCache

techker

hey guys i got this odd file stored in

C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

i can't delete it?it say's open in windows explorer...

and every time i open my pc it pops up with a donate page.....

how can i delete it?.

its odd..i can't delete it and even in safe mode..
i even dual boot in my seven and i can't even see the file or folder............

Sounds definitely like a malware infection. Run malwarebytes to run a full check on your system.

Inetcache is a default system folder. It is normally not visible, unless revealed the system folders in folder view.
It stores addresses of sites, as you visit them, so that, second time around, they open faster.
What is the exact message on the popup. Can you snip and post it?

the malware app didn't detect it...

G2PRiI7.png

ttjFwJb.png

That's not malware or a virus.

I would suggest you look into 1. Your taskmanager - startup tab, and see if you have anything related to this, or
2. What do you have as your start (homepage) in your browser.

What exactly do you click, toget that popup? And where is the "donate", to which you refer.?

this is my startup
upload_2013-11-18_6-23-24.png

nothing specious..

startup pages are google and msn..

but it pops up only on boot...i don't have to open chrome..or EI..

NewBase is the page..

HA!your right!

C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
it triggers a alga.exe file.that opens the location......

nice but im surprised that nothing detected it...

i will delete and try to delete the content..

ya i needed to end it...deleted it!!uhh..the only file left in the inetcache folder is a counter.dat..that doesnt let me delete..says open in windows explorer..and in task manager i can't find it...

thx for the help!

Hello:

I saw your post and had a possible solution, so I registered, and here it is.

When on Windows 8.1 I was transferring a-lot of files off my UPnPLAY (Iomega) drive I noticed my laptop hard drive getting warm. It was transferring form the UPnPLAY drive to a 2TB portable USB 3.0 drive. So I checked the internal drive space & noticed it had gone down.

I got a program called "WizTree" to view what was using all the drive space (I was down to 6GB out of 750GB on the internal drive). If you use the program just view the top 1000 files (tab at the top), you'll see the hidden inetcache directory has all the files. You can delete them from this program (it is free, but like I am doing, just give them an optional donation if you can - support programmers). I sorted by file size, then select the first, shift and select the last, then right click and select delete.

I'm installing some new Seagate Windows 8 software for my GoFlex drives, the iOmega I'll work around or do it from Android. In my case, perhaps yours too, it seems to be a bug whereby it uses that directory as an intermediate stage. The files listed by WizTree were the same files I had been moving so I was sure it was NOT malware but simply that the cache had not been flushed afterwards. I did run Microsoft Safety Scanner - it was clean.

I'll see if the software install clears it up - I have not fully installed them yet so it's very likely this is the cause.

Hope that helps...

EricW

Command prompt in Admin mode will do the trick, and if not that, then nothing will. Run this command, but modify it with the full path of the folder. If you need instructions on how to acquire the name of the full path, post the question after researching.

Code:
rd "[FULL PATH HERE]" && md "[FULL PATH HERE]"
don't include the "[ ]" in the path.

example:

Code:
rd "C:\users\username\appdata\locallow\INetCache" && md "C:\users\username\appdata\locallow\INetCache"

If you are referring to direct requests and discussion of help on Windows 8, then you are correct and it is applicable to all of the "8" forums, for some reason. Only one, where I am a regular visitor is intensively active, but it is 95% concerned with non-related chat, or discussions on hardware and games, the majority of which are not Windows 8 specific

Back