Windows 8 Infinite loop

Prestigebumps1

So I my computer was really lagging one day so I restarted it like always. I turned it on, and it just has an infinite loop saying "Attempting repairs" and "Diagnosing your PC." I did get this one screen where it said "We need to restart your pc, click OK or click Advanced settings." I went to YouTube and I did what it said. It worked for every one else BUT me. I don't remember what I did but it didn't work. Now it's stuck at this loop of death. If none of you can figure this out, just tell me how to wipe it because I don't have anything on there I NEED. Thanks.

Need more information.......
1. What is the make of your computer, such as ..... Dell, Toshiba, HP etc etc.
2. Is this a Win 8 or Win 8.1 computer ?
3. How did you get Win 8 installed in your computer ?
Did Win 8 come pre-installed in the computer or did you upgrade from another Windows version ?
4. Before this issue happened, did you take the steps to create System Image Backup to an external hard drive, create a repair disk etc ?

I probably cannot solve your problem, but if you supply enough info, expert members should be able to help you out.

Need more information.......
1. What is the make of your computer, such as ..... Dell, Toshiba, HP etc etc.
2. Is this a Win 8 or Win 8.1 computer ?
3. How did you get Win 8 installed in your computer ?
Did Win 8 come pre-installed in the computer or did you upgrade from another Windows version ?
4. Before this issue happened, did you take the steps to create System Image Backup to an external hard drive, create a repair disk etc ?

I probably cannot solve your problem, but if you supply enough info, expert members should be able to help you out.
1. It's a Lenovo. I do not know the exact specifics I just know I bought it at Christmas so it's brand new.

2. It is windows 8.1

3. It came pre-installed.

4. I did not do those things.

Additional info: I have firewalls and such running so it's not a virus.

Lenovo has an alphabet soup of models and series.
Have you tried seeking help from Lenovo Community Support Forums ?
If you have not, maybe you should.

Meanwhile see if you can follow this Lenovo tutorial :
partial quote : This new form of recovery allows the user to restore the preloaded operating system and software on the machine back to the original out of factory condition.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-4UFUYK

Adding.............
Since it is under warranty, You might want to return the product. Who knows what you had done to it, no offense intended.

No. I don't know how to " wipe it ". Obviously shut down and restart the machine is not the answer.

Take it back to the seller.
When you get a new Win 8.1 computer, post back and I'll show you how to do System Image backup, create Repair disk and create a Recovery drive in a flash drive or dvds.

P.S. Your computer is a Lenovo Yoga ? Stay away from it, for now.

It seems right now there are many folks in the same situation as you. I have not really seen a fix, but if you are going to reset the system anyway, try breaking the loop by restarting the machine, or hitting some of the other keys to get it to accept input from you. If you can get into the bios, try disabling any onboard devices, like Bluetooth or even the Network adapter to see if it helps.

Do you have any of the OEM recovery media or did you burn the recommend media when you got the system? Did you have a Windows 8 Recovery Flash Drive?

The Windows 8 system has been designed to be self-sufficient. It appears Microsoft has failed in that effort in a great number of cases. I was testing my system one day and intentionally deleted the BCD store, which is the configuration file to tell the system how to boot. After a couple of reboots, it told me it could not repair, so I hit the cancel button and the thing booted up fine. The fact the repair process did not recognize the problem had been solved, troubles me.

It seems right now there are many folks in the same situation as you. I have not really seen a fix, but if you are going to reset the system anyway, try breaking the loop by restarting the machine, or hitting some of the other keys to get it to accept input from you. If you can get into the bios, try disabling any onboard devices, like Bluetooth or even the Network adapter to see if it helps.

Do you have any of the OEM recovery media or did you burn the recommend media when you got the system? Did you have a Windows 8 Recovery Flash Drive?

The Windows 8 system has been designed to be self-sufficient. It appears Microsoft has failed in that effort in a great number of cases. I was testing my system one day and intentionally deleted the BCD store, which is the configuration file to tell the system how to boot. After a couple of reboots, it told me it could not repair, so I hit the cancel button and the thing booted up fine. The fact the repair process did not recognize the problem had been solved, troubles me.
I'm just really sad. I'll research the bios and I'm not buying a new comp

A question, just in case?? Would you happen to know if your system uses a small SSD or MSATA drive as an acceleration drive for the HDD?

I remember when Windows 8 came out, some of the folks using that configuration had some problems updating so possibly it is involved in other situations.

...............I'm just really sad. I'll research the bios and I'm not buying a new comp.............

I am not suggesting that you buy a new computer.
This computer you bought on December last year is still under warranty.
I am suggesting that you should return it and either for refund if possible or a new computer as replacement.
No point to "tinker" with it if you have the warranty to get a new one.

Your PC might be experiencing a "no P.O.S.T. (power on self test)" issue due to corrupted CMOS. If that is the case, one solution is to power drain your PC. Unplug everything from your CPU (USB peripherals, mouse, keyboard, monitor... everything including power cable). Then press and hold the power button for 30 sec. This will drain all the residual power within your system. Then plug everything back in and restart your PC.

There is no guarantee but there's no harm to try this "fix". I had this very same problem before and fixed it by doing this power drain procedure (internal voltage dispersal).

Last edited:
Hi

You said that it's a Lenovo, but not if it is a Desktop or a Laptop.
If it is a laptop it should have a recovery partition.

Can you get to the recovery screen?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

If you can get to this screen you could try and reset the computer to default setting.

If you can't do that and it's under warranty I agree with DavidHK129 just take it back where you bought it and let them deal with it.

Mike

Hi

You said that it's a Lenovo, but not if it is a Desktop or a Laptop.
If it is a laptop it should have a recovery partition.

Can you get to the recovery screen?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

If you can get to this screen you could try and reset the computer to default setting.

If you can't do that and it's under warranty I agree with DavidHK129 just take it back where you bought it and let them deal with it.

Mike

The problem the OP is experiencing I think is that the screen goes directly to error screen/attempting repair and it will automatically restart to try to get to recovery screen but instead goes back to error screen and it goes on and on... The PC is completely out of control. I had that problem before I rang the manufacturer and told me to do a power drain.

Hi

One of the problems with Windows 8 is the difficulty accessing the repair menu, something that could be done by tapping F8 on most computers before 8, but Windows 8 seems to depend on Windows itself deciding if it wants to go there or not.

But I don't think that he said anyplace that he had tried to access the pre boot recovery console on the Lenovo, I'm not sure this would do him much good on a desktop but on a laptop it might give him access to the recovery partition.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...ing-Win-8-System-Recovery-during/ta-p/1021669

I don't know if this is an option or not but it's worth a shot if he hasn't tried it.

Mike

Back