install freezing

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by laughmaster, Sep 5, 2013.

1. laughmaster

laughmaster Well-Known Member

Sorry that the subject line is very descriptive. But I will try to explain everything.

I have a home built system with a genuine intell cpu and a biostar P4m900-m4 motherboard. I have 2 gigs of ram in there but not sure what brand or anything right now. I can find out if the info is needed.

I am having a problem installing windows. I have tried XP, vista and 7. The hard drive is formatted but each install hangs during install. I have tried the following....

Different hard drive
    Diffrent IDE cable
    Moved the IDE cable from the primary IDE slot to the secondary one. I did not think this would work, but worth a shot anyways.
    I looked around in the bios and changed a few settings.
    I restored the default bios settings. (I must say that this bios seems to have a huge amount of options you can change. I have a laptop where I swear there are not more then about 6 things you can change)

I know that more then likely the next logical step is to change out the ram. But I am not sure where my other ram is right now. Oh and I also ran something called Bart PE I think. It is a "windows like" operating system that will operate just of the DVD. Really kind of makes windows security pointless trying to protect files. But a nice little thing to have around. This ran overnight without a problem and no freezing.

Anyways, like I said I know I should try changing out the ram. But I have just not gotten to it yet. But I found it dd that the DVD OS ran without a problem even though it too would use the ram.

Just thought I would check in here to see if anyone has any other ideas, no matter how crazy they seem.

2. laughmaster

laughmaster Well-Known Member

OK I need to update this. I was using an addon video card and took that out and the install got to 8% but as soon as I starting typing this everything froze. I knew that writing something about it appearing to work would jinx me and I guess it did. But any other time I tried the install it never even got to 1% expanded and this time it made it to 8%. /sigh

3. BigFeet

BigFeet Senior Member

Sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe a hardware failure. I would start with testing the RAM (memtest86). The 2nd suspect would be the motherboard (not so easy to test). Kind of got to eliminate everything else first.

4. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

According to http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=283#spec your motherboard supports up to XP. If you want to be active on Internet, you need to get a newer one. XP support ends in April 2014.

Otherwise, I second BigFeet. The easiest way to test memories would be, besides Memtest, to try the memories in a friend's computer, if possible. There is no hazard in such a test.

The BIOS part is hardly a problem. With default settings the motherboard will work with practically anything = OS supported.

Personally I would suspect a motherboard issue. The CMOS battery can cause trouble, changing it is an option to consider.

Hope you get it running. :)