Windows 7 Install Key

MGood

Good Day,

I have an x86 Win 7 Pro key that I'm not using, and a friend would like to upgrade from x64 Vista Home Premium. My question is simple - will an x86 key activate an x64 Win 7 install?

Thanks

If that key has never been used on any computer, It should work. When I went to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium I got both the 32-bit and 64-bit discs. The key worked for both of them. I first put in the 32-bit and decided to try the 64-bit. As I said I used the same key.

That's great news for my friend! I guess an install key is good for 32 or 64 bit version of Pro! No, it's never been used before. I had an extra key from MSDN. Thanks for the quick reply, Sonny!

Not nit picking, but just to clarfy a point there. Yes, the key will work (if it is not an OEM) on subsequent installations of the OS. Even on the same computer. The only point I want to indicate here is that it would be illegal to run more than one version with the same key.

This has nothing to do with illegal usage of a key. I have a spare key, which has never been used to activate Win 7 on any computer, that I am giving to a friend. On MSDN, it says that it is for x86. But my friend would like the 64 bit version. I'll find out for sure whether it works when he installs and attempts to activate!

Back