Install stalls at "setup is starting"

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by seattle, Aug 4, 2009.

1. seattle

seattle New Member

Good morning,
    I have been unsucessful in installing Win7 on my Acer 6930 laptop currently running Vista. I did have sucess on my desktop machine that had XP on it, with a few driver download issues. On the Acer I have tried a upgrade install and a clean install. After the DVD boots, I get the win7 pick a language and then click to install then a "setup is starting" screen that will run for hours if i let it, and i have. If I run the setup icon off the DVD and click install now i get "setup is copying temporary files..." then "setup is starting" ......... any suggestions.
    Thanks

2. busydog

busydog New Member

Two thoughts....

Your DVD Reader may be having problems reading your install disk on your laptop. You might try reburning your ISO at a lower speed on on a removable DVD Drive if you have one.
    If all else fails, try a bootable flash drive. Instructions can be found in the forums here.

3. seattle

seattle New Member

Thanks...but... that didnt help. Made a bootable flash drive and its doing the same thing. "Setup is starting" I will let it run for a couple hours but i'm not very hopeful.

4. jmhoraze

jmhoraze New Member

I very much doubt that the DVD (or the way it was burnt) is the culprit. (To be on the safe side, just copy the contents of the DVD to disk; any DVD problem would show a CRC error on the one or the other file.)
    Try upgrading w/o loading updated from internet: Internet file transfer errors or corruptions are not as readily detected, and can result the Expand to be in a hang state.

Also, I suggest to run MSCONFIG and disable all Start-up programs. Then fresh reboot and start SETUP; say, from a dedicated folder on your hard drive.

Aside Expand, which can really take at certain files a loooong time, there can be also the case you run into what may appear to be another stall: during transfer settings and programs, I had seen that the same item (#260688 of 1068369) was listed over and over again, no progress at 41%. Well, must have been a very complex item with numerous files and registry entires and what not being transferred; after two or three hours it then continued.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    jm.