Windows 7 Installation fails every time.

gd0929918

I've got x64 Ultimate and it just won't install.
At any random time during the installation, the screen will go black and the computer will become non-responsive.
This has been happening to me with every version of 7 i've tried... 6801, 7000, 7100, 32-bit, 64-bit... everything.
One time it actually did finish the install and I got to the desktop, but about 10 minutes later it "crashed" without warning. The screen just went black and the computer wouldn't respond to any kind of input. I thought it might have been the GPU screwing up, so i swapped out my BFG 8800gt for my KFA 8800gt and still got the same problem, so i'm thinking it's a mobo problem?

ga-p35-ds3r
q6600
8800gt

It's not the discs, because i've tried them in my laptop and they work perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

I've got x64 Ultimate and it just won't install.
At any random time during the installation, the screen will go black and the computer will become non-responsive.
This has been happening to me with every version of 7 i've tried... 6801, 7000, 7100, 32-bit, 64-bit... everything.
One time it actually did finish the install and I got to the desktop, but about 10 minutes later it "crashed" without warning. The screen just went black and the computer wouldn't respond to any kind of input. I thought it might have been the GPU screwing up, so i swapped out my BFG 8800gt for my KFA 8800gt and still got the same problem, so i'm thinking it's a mobo problem?

ga-p35-ds3r
q6600
8800gt

It's not the discs, because i've tried them in my laptop and they work perfectly fine.

Any ideas?
May be your media reader. If you have a USB DVD Drive try that. Also try copying the files to a bootable Flash Drive.

I highly doubt it's my dvd drive, because everything else I do with it works just fine and dandy.

EDIT: and I don't have a USB DVD drive, nor a flash drive big enough to make a bootable drive.

I highly doubt it's my dvd drive, because everything else I do with it works just fine and dandy.

EDIT: and I don't have a USB DVD drive, nor a flash drive big enough to make a bootable drive.
Have you updated your BIOS recently? In your BIOS you might make sure you have the "default/basic" option checked rather than "enhanced." You might try unplugging any USB devices (e.g. printer) connected. I'd also Google your MOBO and "Windows 7 Install" to see if anyone else is having this problem.

Last edited:
I'll check my BIOS, but since I was able to actually finish the install of the RC once and get to the desktop before it crashed, I don't think that's the problem...

I'm not entirely sure why, but I got it working.
I was in the BIOS, decided to overclock my q6600 to 2.91ghz. That's about it.
I then decided to try a different approach and installed XP Pro x64 followed by the SP2 upgrade. After that finished, I did a Vista Ultimate x64 upgrade/clean install. Miraculously, it was the first time I had an OS with the Vista kernel not crash when it was installing on this computer. After that finished, I did a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 upgrade, and it worked flawlessly.

I didn't do anything in the BIOS except overclocking, and I didn't remove any USB devices since the previous time I tried and failed.

So I got it working in the end, albeit I had to do a different approach at it.

Can close this thread if you want, or leave it open for more discussion... I don't care, and I doubt I'll be back here after I post here.

Well, I'm back... After about a week of having it running flawlessly, I decided to install Ubuntu 9.04 under Wubi. As soon as that happened, my problems came back, in the form of randomly crashing to a black screen with no way to recover unless I do a hard reset. Safe Mode seems to be pretty stable (it's what I'm in right now), but normal mode can last anywhere between half an hour and 5 minutes before it crashes without warning. There's no error message, no crash screen, it just goes black. I uninstalled Ubuntu in Safe Mode, hoping that would solve my problems, but to no avail. I'm extremely tempted to drop back down to XP Pro within the next couple days, unless I can figure out what's making this happen.

Any ideas? It's not driver related, as far as I know, because the only thing I had done differently was install Ubuntu under Wubi and then restarted.
If I can't fix it by Wednesday morning, I'm switching back to XP Pro.

Something should show up as misbehavin if you run the problem identifications at the link in my tagline.

Ya, nothing. No driver issues, perfmon wouldn't even work,
The only thing I found that might be of any kind of help is in the Event Viewer.

Critical said:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
This would happen every time I did a hard reset.
The event that happens before is saying that SUPERAntiSpyware couldn't load due to incompatibility issues... which is funny, because it was one of the first things I installed when my system was working nicely, and it worked perfectly.

I disabled all the Startup programs in Msconfig and am about to test to see if anything happens when I boot normally. I'll edit in the results.

Last edited:
Worked fine for about two hours, then I opened Winamp to play some music and it froze. It didn't give me a black screen crash, but it just froze up, repeating a quarter second of audio every 5 seconds or so.
This is weird, because I played a video in Winamp about 40 minutes earlier and it was just fine.

I then rebooted, thinking it was Winamp's fault, so I jumped on here right away before opening anything else and it froze again before I could even log in (about 20 seconds after starting Firefox).

The Event Log for that short boot up is showing this:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL

The previous system shutdown at 12:15:50 PM on ‎11/‎23/‎2009 was unexpected.

There are several indications that thes problems wish SASDIFSV SASKUTIL are related to malware/spyware or even a virus called Heat.

HOWEVER.. I can find no indication in your messages that you have installed the FINAL version of Win 7 7600.

There are links to download it directly from microsoft in my blogs.

I wouldn't waste any time with a RC version. Go straight to 7600 .. first go to your bios menu and restore the factory settings or use the clear cmos jumper option. Unless you have over 4 gb memory you should install the 32 bit version... there is no advantage to installing 64 bit.

If you do that and check the diag logs and run perfmon /report from the command line and see what it has to say you should know what's acting up.

There are several indications that thes problems wish SASDIFSV SASKUTIL are related to malware/spyware or even a virus called Heat.
SASDIFSV - SASDIFSV.SYS - Program Information
SASKUTIL.sys Windows process - What is it?

It's SUPERAntiSpyware.

HOWEVER.. I can find no indication in your messages that you have installed the FINAL version of Win 7 7600.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q245/Zephyr6831/7600.png
There are links to download it directly from microsoft in my blogs.
...why would I go to your blogs to download files "directly" (should be "indirectly") from Microsoft, when I could just go to the Microsoft website and skip the middle man?

I wouldn't waste any time with a RC version. Go straight to 7600 .. first go to your bios menu and restore the factory settings or use the clear cmos jumper option. Unless you have over 4 gb memory you should install the 32 bit version... there is no advantage to installing 64 bit.
... did you not read my first post? None of the builds I've tried have worked except for this one, and even this is crapping out now.
Also, one of the first things I've tried was to reset the BIOS to factory settings. Nada. If anything, it exacerbated the problem. As for the RAM, I've got 8gbs, so using a 32-bit OS is a complete waste of hardware. I'm not attacking you or anything, but I don't really appreciate you condescending me like that. Also, even if you DO have 4gbs of RAM, your OS will only see ~3.5gbs of it, but it'll say it recognizes 4gbs simply because you have 4x1gb modules (or 2x2gb modules) installed. Vista's SP1 "fixed" that issue basically so the "tech geeks" would stfu about their OS not seeing all 4gbs in 32-bit.
Link Removed - Invalid URL
This freezing issue is the only thing that has me stumped and it's the ONLY reason I'm here, since I figured the Windows 7 forums should have some sort of idea about what's going on.

If you do that and check the diag logs and run perfmon /report from the command line and see what it has to say you should know what's acting up.
perfmon /report won't run in Safe Mode, and normal mode won't stay "alive" long enough for me to run it.
have yo checked the hard drive??
The harddrive's fine. It runs x64 XP Pro perfectly, as well as any Linux distro I throw at it. Also, if it was a harddrive problem, wouldn't I be getting the same issues in Safe Mode as when in normal mode?

Here's a full list of my hardware, just for future reference:

q6600
GA-P35-DS3R rev2.1
KFA2 8800GT
4xCorsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 2GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN
2xHitachi Deskstar 1TB
Hitachi Deskstar 750GB (This one has the OS installed on it)
Corsair hx520w PSU
LG GH22LS50 dvd drive
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Antec 900

I believe that's all of it... minus the peripherals like keyboards/printer/monitor/etc.

..why would I go to your blogs to download files "directly" (should be "indirectly") from Microsoft, when I could just go to the Microsoft website and skip the middle man?

If you find them on their website please share them with us.

... did you not read my first post? None of the builds I've tried have worked except for this one, and even this is crapping out now.

From your first message: " i've tried... 6801, 7000, 7100, 32-bit, 64-bit"[/quote]

Yes I read it.. That's what you listed and that prompted me to ask if you had tried the final... which is 7600

I'm not attacking you or anything, but I don't really appreciate you condescending me like that.

I never intended anything but to help. No worries, I'll be on my way.

Last edited:
Back