Installation Freezes on 'Starting Windows' :(

The first problem I encountered was the installation froze on 62%, which I have since found a fix for. Now it gets past that but after telling me 'setup will continue after restarting your computer', it freezes on the 'Starting Windows' screen, and its rather annoying as I have attempted to install it about 4 times. :(

Essential Member
Have you used vLite on your setup?

Essential Member
It let's you remove features of your installation, though it's made for Vista but has some functionality with windows 7.
I was jut asking because it can cause those kinds of setup problems, has for me in the past.

Could you post some system specifications here for us? :)

Yeah sure

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 1862 Mhz
2 logical processors
2 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Unsupported
SSE42: Unsupported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Windows Version:
Windows Vista (32 bit)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
DirectX Driver Name: igdumd32.dll
Driver Version Not Detected
DirectX Driver Version:
Driver Date Not Detected
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x29a2
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1024 x 768
Desktop Resolution: 1024 x 768
Primary Display Size: 14.21" x 10.67" (17.76" diag)
36.1cm x 27.1cm (45.1cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 191 MB
Supported MSAA Modes Not Detected

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel

RAM: 3061 Mb

UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 453020 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 245165 Mb
Steam Hard Disk Usage: 17572 Mb
OS Install Date: Apr 12 2007
Installed Packages: ,Windows Firewall

hope that helps

Essential Member
Ok. Everything there seems compatible, does Vista or XP work correctly?

If your installation is freezing at 62% then it appears you're doing an "upgrade" install instead of a "clean install" or custom install. Quite a few people are having issues when doing an upgrade install. I would suggest doing a clean install, plus Windows 7 works much better when it's installed that way.

If you only have the "Upgrade Version" discs don't worry, the full OS is still on them. I have done three clean installs with upgrade discs with no problems and no issues with activation. One hint that helps is DON'T put in the product key or a password, when asked by Windows 7 during install. Let it finish installing and do any automatic updates until all updates are finished.

Then go to to Start Orb, Computer, Right-click then properties, you'll see the Windows Activation area in the lower right-hand section. Click on "Activate Windows Now" section and enter Key and activate, you should be good to go.

fleeze on "Starting Windows" screen

I just bought Windows7.. After I format my C:\ drive and start install with the CD, I can't login anymore due to the screen fleeze on "Starting Windows" screen.

This really make myself regret should continue use the RC version until next march.

Anyone, PLEASE HELP... :(

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.