Windows 7 installation help

Gilly

i thought i try out windows 7 because ive heard alot of good things, but when i try and install it gets to the copyying the windows file but then i get an error message saying it cant install because there something missing. i get the error message 0*80070017..
im running genuine vista hoime premium 32bit sp2

any help will be much appreciated

thnx Gilly

First off make sure you download the RC from Microsoft found here. Make sure you burn the ISO at the slowest speed. Secondly, is this the result of trying to upgrade as opposed to a clean install? My advice if you are wanting to try out 7, is to do a clean install on another partition, or better still another drive and dual boot with Vista. That way when the RC expires you can always go back to how you left Vista.
There are lots of guides on this forum, but basically you need to shrink your partition and boot to the DVD and install 7 on the unallocated space.

First off make sure you download the RC from Microsoft found here. Make sure you burn the ISO at the slowest speed. Secondly, is this the result of trying to upgrade as opposed to a clean install? My advice if you are wanting to try out 7, is to do a clean install on another partition, or better still another drive and dual boot with Vista. That way when the RC expires you can always go back to how you left Vista.
There are lots of guides on this forum, but basically you need to shrink your partition and boot to the DVD and install 7 on the unallocated space.

i downloaded it from a torrent and burnt it at the fastest speed..

im downloading it from window now ill burn it at *1 rather than *16 see if that sorts it out

ill tell u how i get on,,

will it install over vista and just put WINDOWS OLD folder like it usually does...

i dont know what you mean shrink my partition????

i downloaded it from a torrent and burnt it at the fastest speed..
im downloading it from window now ill burn it at *1 rather than *16 see if that sorts it out
That could be your problem right there.

will it install over vista and just put WINDOWS OLD folder like it usually does...
Yes it will if you do an upgrade. You can remove this buy running the disk cleanup in the properties of C: drive. However, I strongly advise you to back all your files up and do a clean install, if you are in the postion to do so.

i dont know what you mean shrink my partition????
Its easy. Right click Computer and click manage. On the bottom left is disk management. Next choose the drive/partition you want to shrink, Im assuming you have only one so it will be C: drive, right click and choose shrink volume. You need 16GB min, but Id go for as much as you can spare, so shrink to volume accordingly. This will give you some space to install Windows 7 in, without wiping Vista. You will be given the option after install to boot to either Vista or 7.

sorted thanx...... tried the upgrade and it worked perfectly all me drivers automatic updated.

windows 7 is the shit:razz:

Back
Top Bottom