Installation problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by KaiserSozei87, Oct 21, 2009.

1. KaiserSozei87

KaiserSozei87 New Member

Hi There

I had windows 7 when it was the beta just to see what its like. Now i have downloaded the new 64 bit version from MSDN. Upon installing i encountered several errors:

First time it got almost all the way through then blue screened, then upon restart displays the message that the install failed, please restart.

So

I done another copy and burned it at x1 speed, now it says it cannot find my cd/dvd drivers, i have an IDE dvd drive and have set the jumper to "master" and made it the first boot device.

I never had this problem before so any help would be appreciated, yes i have formatted the drive too, but it did do it really quickly which leads me to believe it just done a "quick format".

I have also tried extracting the image susing unidisk to my external hard drive then using bart pe and symantec boot cd to try and boot the image but to no avail, i know i am probably doing something wrong there. But i used these methods because when i try and boot straight to it, it says NTLDR is missing, i know this probably requires me to format my hard drive in NTFS format or something probably and i really dont want to do that as it's a 1TB external hard drive and has all my data on, as well as an image of my machine as it was in XP before i started faffing with windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated, at a bit of a loose end and really dont want to go out and buy a sata dvd drive just to find it does not work.

Thanks

2. SIW2

SIW2 New Member

Are you tying to install to usb attached HD ? Sorry, can't be done. You can install from one, but not to one.

3. KaiserSozei87

KaiserSozei87 New Member

No sorry my bad explanation there.

I am trying to install to my main INTERNAL SATA drive.

The external hard drive is just one of the things i have tried. EXTERNAL DRIVE > INTERNAL drive.

did not work.

Just trying again for like the 5th time right now.

Going to maybe try putting vista business edition on then upgrade that way, not sure if that will work though.

4. KaiserSozei87

KaiserSozei87 New Member

Woop

Hi

Sorry for the short post but i have just fixed my installation problems, after the third day of trying.

I can only suggest that this worked after one significant change i made.

I set my IDE dvd drive to "master" instead of "slave" (by moving the jumper"

That's all i did. Why this had an effect i don't know, but it just asked me to create a username and password and enter product key etc which is the furthest i have got so i am going to close the post.

Thanks to the one person who replied. Hope this works for others.

HOW DO YOU CLOSE A POST? LOL

#4 KaiserSozei87, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. SIW2

SIW2 New Member

Glad you got it working.