Windows XP Installation problems

TALLY

I am trying to install XP Professional onto a friends laptop and I have caught a little snag.

I installed it from the hard drive with a setup.exe.

I went through the setup and it restarted a couple of times and I think I am done until after a restart I get a pop up saying.....

C:\WINDOWS\system32\presetup.cmd - FILE NOT FOUND !
C:\WINDOWNS\system32\setupORG.rxe - FILE NOT FOUND !
(setupORG.exe -> Original windows Setup.exe)

POSSIBLE CAUSE:
1. "Presetup.cmd" not exist in the i386 folder on UXPCD
"setupORG.exe" not exist in the i386 folder on UXPCD

2. Check your "Txtsetup.sif" in the i386 folder on UXPCD
---"Txtsetup.sif: ---------------------
[SourceDisksFiles]
setupORG.exe = 1,,,,,,,,,2,0,0; must exist
presetup.cmb = 1,,,,,,,,,,2,0,0 ; must exist

Now it just goes into a loop of starting, restarting setup, error message, restarting.

So, what do you guys think? What can I do? Am I screwed?

Last edited:
Ok, but what do I do now? Im stuck in a loop of starting, restarting setup, error message, restarting. The operating sytem never fully installed so im stuck.

I have a vista disc. Can I use that to start a new installation? Like maybe boot it from my boot option screen in BIOS?

Ive tired this and Im having a problem getting to my boot options. What do all the F# keys do on winxp?

Last edited:
Tally, if you have the winXP cd you should boot from it and do a clean install from there...
Delete all partitions.
Make a small one for XP (10gb should be enough),
make the rest into a second partition (for data).
Format only the first partition in the installer and let it rip...

I agree with CommonTater, what is the need to install from hard drive if you have to copy files from CD anyway?

Tally, I have many times installed from CD and all went so well. I personally am not familiar with the installation method you've brought up. If you're still determined to try, follow these steps which hopefully will work:

1. You need to have 1 partition where you plan to install XP, and 1 more partition to have XP setup files on it.

2. On a separate partition which some users say it needs to be FAT32, create xpcd folder in the root of it.

3. Copy all the XP CD setup files to xpcd folder.

4. Run (drive letter):\xpcd\i386\winnt.exe

Good luck.

I agree with CommonTater, what is the need to install from hard drive if you have to copy files from CD anyway?

BLUSH!

I personally am not familiar with the installation method you've brought up.

It's the XP version of an upgrade install... intended to bring a system up from Win9x or Win2000 to XP. It attempts to keep data, drivers and other software replacing only necessary files.

Awesome, thank you very much to both of you. I might need a little more help though. Some of those things Im not 100% sure how to do.

I will start from the beginning.

1. I do not know how to start a clean install from my xp disc. Which F# key do I push? I cannot remember.

2. I dont know how to make a partition.

sorry for my noobishness. I suck in this area.

The briefest answer is: "Read the screen"... Your bios will tell you which key to press, you'll see a message like "Press Del for Setup, F12 for menu" (it's a little different on each machine). Windows setup will give you enough hints to create partitions and format drives... Honest, it will be right there on the screen in front of you.

Ok Iv tried to boot the disk in setup, boot menu, advanced options and each time getting the same result of it not loading the disk and it loading from the Hard Drive like usual.

I tried changing the boot order and put the Disc drive 1st, but it still boots from the Hard Drive.

Where exactly am I supposed to go to boot the disc. What is the name of the screen and what option am I supposed to choose?

This new problem sounds like you don't have a bootable XP CD...

Operating systems are not simple programs, you can't just copy the files (or use disk copy) to make a second copy. You have to go the extra step of making the CD-ROM bootable... which most Burners will let you do... Burn Aware Free is a good one.

Instructions --> Link Removed - Invalid URL

When a computer starts it goes to track 0 sector 0 of the first boot disk and looks for a specific signature, followed by "boot code" that starts the OS loading process. If the first one fails it tries the next one, then the next... Which is how you're ending up booting from the hard disk... the CD has no Boot Sector on it.

At this point I would strongly suggest you try to find someone who has a known good bootable copy of XP on CD... preferably an orignal Microsoft copy... and go from there.

Back