Windows 7 installation

sameh83

How do i get windows 7 to NOT install automatic drivers ?

I am getting ready to do a clean install of windows 7, but i want to install my own drivers ! How do i make this possible ?

Right click computer and choose properties.
Choose advanced system settings from the left column
In the system properties dialog box choose the Hardware tab at the top
Click the button that says Device Installation Settings
Choose radio button that says No let me choose what to do
and then the radio button that says "Never install driver software from Windows Update.

Thanks for the method you outlined ! However, i am ALREADY aware of this method ! What i want to know is,,,,,How can i do it PRE-Installation ?

I would suspect that unplugging your computer from the internet and or turning off you wireless radio, would prevent any unwanted drivers from Windows Update from being installed prior to or during the installation.

Here is the problem,,,,,,when i install windows (fresh install),,,windows automatically installs with all of the drivers ! Needless to say, That is without "windows Update" or any internet connection ! The Windows installs with the drivers pre-configured !

Just let it install the pre-configured drivers, it needs them so you can install windows and make it boot. all critical drivers are needed just to use windows. No drivers = no installation = No boot. when it's up and running after install, Just install any drivers under device manager in Other Devices. Don't need any other updated drivers part from the mobo eg. Audio, Ethernet, Wireless, Storage controlers and so on and drivers for expasion cards eg. Video, dial up Modem, and others. then leave everthing like processors and "System Devices" alone.

Last edited:
Well here is the issue AGAIN,,,,,,,!!!!!
Windows automatically installs drivers that i dont need ! Even when i uninstall the drivers from device manager, after i reboot, they are installed again automatically !

Didn't yo dust read, It's normal just let it do what it want's to do otherwise you'll end up screwing your system. if you don't like some of the defualt drivers just install the ones you have downloaded from the websites.

![QUOTEWindows automatically installs drivers that i dont need ! Even when i uninstall the drivers from device manager, after i reboot, they are installed again automatically ][/QUOTE]

Either you can't read, or you don't understand !

1) you don't understand a techie and read my thingys
2) why are you so concerned about the defualt drivers
3) You can't stop the default drivers with out dissasebly of the system otherwise you will screw it up
4) just install windows and get over with your fears of default drivers.
5) install your drivers after you installed windows
6) I can't be bothered to help you if you don't help your self
7) I've gotta go and play computer games at my Lan party now!

1: you don't understand anything about this stuff
2:" windows will not allow me to install my own drivers" is what i said
3:Windows7forums was created because we as the people don't accept NO for an answer,,,so stop telling me to just let windows install default drivers
4: However, there is a way to do what i wanted an i will show you since you don't have a clue about what you're saying

1: Right click my computer>Advanced system settings>Hardware
2: click on device installation settings !!

Next time a person needs help,,,don't tell him the opposite of what HE want's to hear just because you DON'T know what you are talking about !

I gather you want to, for example, have Win7 install but not install your network driver... (etc).

Certain drivers have to be defaulted. You need mouse, keyboard, video, disk etc or you're not going to have a working system. The extras such as network USB, etc. are pretty harmless. They will be on your drive whether installed and active or not.

I'd say your best bet is to not worry about it and just install your own drivers after the fact... Life will be a lot simpler.

If, for some reason, windows won't let you install a given driver, it's probably because you have either an older version or an incompatible version. Win7 is more picky than 2k or XP was in this regard. You may have to download some new drivers before you get it all working.

Thank you for your reply CommonTater ! But my main issue wasn't the small stuff like mouse, USB, ETC.....
It was the Display drivers ! Windows would download the old version every time ! But, i figured out how to stop it from installing the driver (as outlined above) !

You said you wanted to fresh install windows 7. Well that setting won't stay there when you reinstall. you don't have a clue what yo are doning or happens when you reinstall windows. the fact is everything goes down the drain. Thats why you have to backup before hand

and why do you need a graphics driver? you don't need them unless you're a gamer playing games. Defualt ones should suffice

Last edited:
Since there is no editing the original drivers of Windows, there had to be a solution ! And, i found it ,,as noted above ! Windows was installing an old driver every time !
Even when i uninstall the driver from Device manager, as soon as i reboot, it would re-install again ! Till i figured out how to stop it !

and why do you need a graphics driver? you don't need them unless you're a gamer playing games. Defualt ones should suffice

Gee, I dunno... perhaps to take advantage of Direct Draw and hardware accelleration while watching movies? Or, maybe just to get the benefit of improved overall perfomance when running general programs...

BTW... telling someone they don't have a clue clearly isn't helpful. How about, leaving leaving out the insults and using the extra time to educate people.

Back
Top Bottom