Installed and activated 32bit home premium

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by kbz1960, Nov 3, 2009.

1. kbz1960

kbz1960 New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    So since I was not wanting to get locked out trying to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit I installed the 32 bit and activated it. Now If I want to try and install the 64 bit like everyone says you can do with no problems on activation, if I do that now will it not work since I've all ready activated the key with the 32 bit?
  2. BlitzburghFan

BlitzburghFan New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    I think I'm in the same boat as you. I had XP 32 bit and purchased the UPGRADE version of Widows 7 Home Premium. My computer is 64 bit capable. I obviously could not upgrade so I had to do a clean install but it would not let me do a clean install to 64 bit Windows 7, I even tried booting to the 64 bit DVD from BIOS and it would not work.

I did a clean install from the 32 bit Windows 7 Upgrade DVD and it worked fine, so now I'm running Windows 7 32 bit.

Now I am wondering if I can go from Windows 7 32 bit to the 64 bit version doing another clean install using the 64 bit upgrade DVD withoug screwing up the product key, licensing, etc...
  3. JessicaD

JessicaD New Member

May 11, 2009
    You cannot upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit. With that said, if you would like to move to a 64-bit operating system you will need to purchase a full license as an upgrade license will require you to have a previously purchased copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista installed.
    For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here:
    Microsoft Windows Client Team