Windows 7 Installed and activated 32bit home premium

kbz1960

So since I was not wanting to get locked out trying to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit I installed the 32 bit and activated it. Now If I want to try and install the 64 bit like everyone says you can do with no problems on activation, if I do that now will it not work since I've all ready activated the key with the 32 bit?

So since I was not wanting to get locked out trying to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit I installed the 32 bit and activated it. Now If I want to try and install the 64 bit like everyone says you can do with no problems on activation, if I do that now will it not work since I've all ready activated the key with the 32 bit?

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I had XP 32 bit and purchased the UPGRADE version of Widows 7 Home Premium. My computer is 64 bit capable. I obviously could not upgrade so I had to do a clean install but it would not let me do a clean install to 64 bit Windows 7, I even tried booting to the 64 bit DVD from BIOS and it would not work.

I did a clean install from the 32 bit Windows 7 Upgrade DVD and it worked fine, so now I'm running Windows 7 32 bit.

Now I am wondering if I can go from Windows 7 32 bit to the 64 bit version doing another clean install using the 64 bit upgrade DVD withoug screwing up the product key, licensing, etc...

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I had XP 32 bit and purchased the UPGRADE version of Widows 7 Home Premium. My computer is 64 bit capable. I obviously could not upgrade so I had to do a clean install but it would not let me do a clean install to 64 bit Windows 7, I even tried booting to the 64 bit DVD from BIOS and it would not work.

I did a clean install from the 32 bit Windows 7 Upgrade DVD and it worked fine, so now I'm running Windows 7 32 bit.

Now I am wondering if I can go from Windows 7 32 bit to the 64 bit version doing another clean install using the 64 bit upgrade DVD withoug screwing up the product key, licensing, etc...

BlitzburghFan,
You cannot upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit. With that said, if you would like to move to a 64-bit operating system you will need to purchase a full license as an upgrade license will require you to have a previously purchased copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista installed.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK
Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Back