Windows 7 Installed programs missing from Programs & Features in control panel

oneovertwo

Hi Listren,
I am a noobie to this forum, so hello everyone.
I have done a search for this problem and found one entry but contained no answer.

I recently accessed the programs and features applet to uninstall a program and found I only had 32 installed programs and the program I wanted to uninstall was not there. (I uninstalled from its own uninstaller)
On closer inspection I found that a vast majority of my programs are missing, around 80 of them I guess.

I tried system restore and that had no restores listed and System restore is switched on.
So I suspected a viral infection
I have a run full antivirus/malware/spyware etc. none found.

I have searched the net/books/asked friends all to no avail.

Can you help at all.

My notebook is a Acer 5542: Amd Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2.00GHz,
4.00 GB Ram , ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics, 320 GB HDD
Win 7 SP1 64-bit OS
Fully patched and up-to-date.
4 WEI

Many thanks
Peace
oneovertwo

Welcome to the forums!

Here are some of my inputs:

1. Not all programs will show there. Though 80 sounds like a lot. What kind of these 80 progs are they? Give a few names.
2. Updates are hidden unless you check the box to show them.

You can always use the program's default uninstaller by right clicking on the program's shortcut and choosing "open file location". The uninstaller is usually there.
You can also use a good program called revo uninstaller Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems They have a free version too.

Hi oneovertwo and Welcome to The Forum.

It might also be down to a "cleaning program" inadvertently removing the installers (and thus, the uninstallers) from the (hidden by default) C:\Windows\Installer folder. Do a head count in there for *.msi files. I have seen, in the past, when the installer folder has been completely emptied.

Hi zvit and Elmer,
Installed Revo as you suggested. It found the same number of installations as 'Your Uninstaller' (which I've used for years).
Out of interest I checked to see if Revo came up in the installed programs and it didn't. Curiouser and curiouser...
All of MS programs are missing... including Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows DVD Maker, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Movie Maker, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer 9 64-Bit Edition, Internet Explorer 9 plus the whole MS Office Suite. Other: VirtualDub, DivX Plus, Adobe Photoshop 7.0, Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0, FreeImage Converter, PanoStitcher, PDF-XChange PDF Viewer, Foxit PDF Editor. The list goes on. I know I can uninstall using the programs own uninstaller but I am curious as to why they've all gone awol.

I also checked the C:\Windows\Installer folder and there's nothing in it. Its empty. Any ideas.

The computer itself is working okay all programs are working....

I've solved the system restore problem, somehow the space allocation was 3% I normally allocate at least 10%. The joy of Windows...

Revo wasn't a solution to the missing installations, but rather a temp way to uninstall a program that you want to uninstall and might not of had it's own uninstaller.

First check the solution from Microsoft. You can fix it yourself or use the FixIt utility on the page: In the kb article it mentions that it is for Windows XP but it also applies to Windows7 you can give it a try and check if it helps:
Add/Remove Programs tool displays installed programs incorrectly

1. Maybe for some strange reason, the uninstallers got hidden. Go to programs and features uninstall window. From here select tools (top left), then folder options. A new window will appear from which you need to select view then scroll to HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and select show hidden files and folders. Then select APPLY then OK. This will un-hide any files or folders that may have for some reason been hidden.

2. Please upload a screen shot of your programs and features uninstall window.

3. Are you logged into your computer as an administrator or user?

4. Start the computer in safe mode and tell us if they are missing then too.

5. Did you install any VPN software? (This has been the cause for some. Removing it solved it for them). Do you remember if you installed anything on your computer that might have caused this?

Update us on your progress.

I am facing same Problem.....

Mine control panel showing 23 programs installed..
In Program Files there are 76 Programs installed- default 16(approx) folders of programs files of windows= 50 My programs is there

before i can see all 60 (approx) in control panel ..but now i can't..

Back
Top Bottom