Windows 7 Installed SSD - Ended up with Dual Boot situation ... Not what I wanted

thebrauns85

I wanted to install a new SSD. Intended to clone it, but my cloning software wouldn't work with it (SSD was smaller than the drive I wanted to clone). So I used Paragon to copy my boot partition to the drive (after I made it active). I then tried to boot from the SSD (using BIOS settings). Hung up. :frown:I then disconnected the primary boot drive and tried to boot. Hung up again:frown:. I ran Win 7 repair from the Windows disk three times. The first time, no problems found. The second time, it fixed something, but I couldn't tell what. Third time, no problems found. Tried to boot from the SSD. No luck again. :frown: So, I reconnected the original boot drive and rebooted. Got the dual boot menu. And one of the dual boot options allowed me to boot off the SSD. :)I'm running off the SSD with no problems when I use the dual-boot option, but it still won't boot only from the SSD (if I set it primary boot in BIOS or disconnect the original hard drive). I can obviously use MSCONFIG to remove the original hard drive from the dual-boot option but I fear if I do that, I won't be able to boot from anything. So, for now, I'm using dual-boot to successfully boot up to my SSD. Any suggestions on how I might be able to get back to single boot off the SSD, so I can wipe the other drive and use it for backup storage?

I just installed a SSD and what I did was make a backup image of my C: partition (which is the one I have Win 7 one) to another partition on my hard drive ( I used Acronis), then shut down, put the SSD in, booted from hard drive, restored image to the SSD, shut down, took out hard drive, booted from Win 7 DVD, ran Repair (just to be safe), then booted from SSD. Once Windows came up and I checked to be sure it was OK, I then shut down, put hard drive back in, rebooted using a GParted Live CD, then used that to remove the partitions from the hard drive, repartitioned and formatted it, then rebboted from SSD and old hard drive is now program/data drive.

Some SSD forums say a clean install is best but this worked for me.

Sam

I wanted to install a new SSD. Intended to clone it, but my cloning software wouldn't work with it (SSD was smaller than the drive I wanted to clone). So I used Paragon to copy my boot partition to the drive (after I made it active). I then tried to boot from the SSD (using BIOS settings). Hung up. :frown:I then disconnected the primary boot drive and tried to boot. Hung up again:frown:. I ran Win 7 repair from the Windows disk three times. The first time, no problems found. The second time, it fixed something, but I couldn't tell what. Third time, no problems found. Tried to boot from the SSD. No luck again. :frown: So, I reconnected the original boot drive and rebooted. Got the dual boot menu. And one of the dual boot options allowed me to boot off the SSD. :)I'm running off the SSD with no problems when I use the dual-boot option, but it still won't boot only from the SSD (if I set it primary boot in BIOS or disconnect the original hard drive). I can obviously use MSCONFIG to remove the original hard drive from the dual-boot option but I fear if I do that, I won't be able to boot from anything. So, for now, I'm using dual-boot to successfully boot up to my SSD. Any suggestions on how I might be able to get back to single boot off the SSD, so I can wipe the other drive and use it for backup storage?

Go to start button run MSCONFIG select boot tab you will most like see both the Operating systems there, highlight and delete the one you do not want this should resolve your problem. Always have a backup handy if needed though.

Appreciate the feedback. I know how to delete that using MSCONFIG, but my concern is that if I do delete that partition, then my computer won't boot, because it won't boot when I disconnect the drive on which that partition exists. Complicates matters a bit.

I essentially tried what you described. The problem is that the computer wouldn't boot from my SSD after I did that. I'll try again, but that's my issue. If it booted from the SSD without my other hard drive installed, I know how to solve my problem. But it doesn't. But I'll try again.

Back