Windows 7 Installed to extended partition.

John Carty

So I recently installed win7 to my desktop which at the time had Ubuntu as the sole OS. I wanted all my stuff from Ubuntu after win7 install so I created an NTFS partition and moved all my crap there, wipe Ubuntu and did a clean install. So after I moved all my stuff from the NTFS patition to the win7 partition I ran gparted and erased the extra drive. What I was paying attention to was that win7 installed into an extended partition. Now when I try to boot I get a 'Disk failure boot, insert system disk and press enter'. So I thought ok easy enough, no luck it can't run the repair from install disk as it can't see the drive for some reason.

So my question is, is there any hope for my drive? Or should I clean install? No biggie if I have too, I can run Ubuntu live and move my crap if need be, just would rather not.

There must be at least one primary partition for Windows to boot. It would contain the boot records.
You could use a third party partition tool to change the extended partiton to primary and the use the Windows DVD to do a start up repair.

But probably easier, quicker and produce a cleaner result to back up your stuff, repartition and run a clean install to a primary.

Back