Windows 7 Installer problems

Andaco

I have problems with Installer. I have tried all of the Fix-its etc on Microsoft sites but it still remains. It installs up to a point then tells me that it cannot create a directory, C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ *****.
I have tried the Fixits, no good. I have tried to install Windows Updater 4.5 but it tells me that there is insufficient storage space. I have 435 GB of free space on my HD.
Any ideas, anyone?

Could you please fill in some of the blanks, like your exact process Windows 7 install, clean drive, etc... Trying to make assumptions about what you are doing, is not fun.

Sorry, Saltgrass, My only excuse for the omit is tiredness and frustration.

Windows 7 Home Premium was a disk install (3 days ago) on to a clean, securely erased hard disk drive. The installation went as normal with no problems whatsoever. I was slowly installing my usual programs all of which have worked together on Win 7 previously, with no problems at all.

I was in the process of installing a new Epson scanner (V330 Photo) when I could not install ABBYY Fine Reader or Epson Event Manager. These programs came 4th and last (8th) in the loading sequence on the disk (Epson bundled Software). All of the other programs loaded without incident. Both programs stalled at the same point, the creation of the directory referred to in my original request for help.
Epson were adamant that Event Manager installs with one of the other on disk programs. It does not and certainly has not. They were unable to comment on the problem with ABBYY Fine Reader as "they were not trained in the use of other firms' software and I should refer that problem to ABBYY"
ABBYY only give support to registered clients and to register I needed the Licence Key which I don't have as it's bundled software.
I have used both CCleaner and the various applets in TuneUp Utilities, all to no avail, as is the same with various " Fixits " downloaded from Microsoft.
I have since found that Recycle Bin is corrupt and needs to be cleared, which it refuses to do. The exact syntax of command in Command Prompt escapes me. I have a feeling that the 2 problems are linked and that by resolving the Recycle Bin problem the Installer problem be sorted too.

I hope that is enough info to go on, but if you need more don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for your interest.

Thanks, this helps greatly.

As far as ABBYY, if it was bundled, are you reinstalling the item it came bundled with? If it is like some of the bundled software that comes with a DVD drive, it needs the same drive to be present or it will not install.

I have an Epson All-in-One printer and it installs the Event Manager. The folder you reference is on the Start Menu, so possibly you need to run the install as Administrator, or if it asks where you want to add the folder, you might change it or not let it put a shortcut on the start menu. Since I have not checked how new this device is, maybe it should be run in a compatibility mode.

The install of my printer also opens ports in the Firewall. Do you remember seeing it ask if it can do that for you?

For the recycle bin, maybe running a chkdsk would help with any corruption problem. You could also try changing the size in properties to see if it would clear things out. Do you see a specific file that will not delete?

If you have not gotten far with your reinstall and you cannot get it straightened out, you might reinstall and wait on the software that seems to be causing problems, or see if there is a restore point prior to the problems starting.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your interest and help.

The problem did appear to be with Recycle Bin. I finally managed to sort out the proper cmd prompt which cleared the bin and when I tried a reinstall of the offending programs, both went through without incident.

I can only assume that those two programs needed to get rid of certain temporary files (created as part of the install) before being able to progress any further with their install. With Recycle Bin being unable to clear, both came to a halt at that point. Although I must admit, that is tailoring an answer to the result rather than the actual problem.

Anyhow, everything is up and running as it should be doing. Once again, I thank you for your interest and help.

Many thanks for your interest and help.

The problem did appear to be with Recycle Bin. I finally managed to sort out the proper cmd prompt which cleared the bin and when I tried a reinstall of the offending programs, both went through without incident.

I can only assume that those two programs needed to get rid of certain temporary files (created as part of the install) before being able to progress any further with their install. With Recycle Bin being unable to clear, both came to a halt at that point. Although I must admit, that is tailoring an answer to the result rather than the actual problem.

Anyhow, everything is up and running as it should be doing. Once again, I thank you for your interest and help.
Hi Andaco,
Could u show me how to fix the problem shown below. I can not finish installing ABBYY because of it. Thanks for your help.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Re: Installer problem

Did you get my message? I think something went wrong when I tried to add an attachment.
Hi Andaco,
Could u show me how to fix the problem shown below. I can not finish installing ABBYY because of it. Thanks for your help.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Attachments

• MT RC BIN.JPG
    MT RC BIN.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 299

see attachment on last message to clear/empty ReCycle bin. Go to Microsoft's site and type Microsoft Fixit 5202-v2.1.1.2 into Search box. Download and follow the (simple) instructions. This will sort out any problems with the Windows Installer Package on your machine.
I hope this helps.

Andaco.

see attachment on last message to clear/empty ReCycle bin. Go to Microsoft's site and type Microsoft Fixit 5202-v2.1.1.2 into Search box. Download and follow the (simple) instructions. This will sort out any problems with the Windows Installer Package on your machine.
I hope this helps.

Andaco.
Hi Andaco.
I can not thank you enough because of your interest and help. I will follow your instruction and hope the problem could be fixed.
Thanks and regards

Back