Windows 7 Installing Flight Simulator X on W7 64-bit.

CrashGordon

I installed W7 Home Premium 64-bit. All went well, until I installed MS Flight Simulator X. Although its installer stated it was installing directx 9, when I try to run Flight Simulator X,, it immediately displays an error message that directx 9 is missing.

Anyone have an idea on solving this problem?

EDIT: Uninstalled FSX cleaned out the directory and reinstalled FSX. It worked. Only then, I installed the Acceleration expansion pack. Now I get the same error message about DX9

Last edited:
I installed FS-X on the same Windows 7 configuration (home premium 64 bit) and do not have any trouble so far. The installer did not state it was installing Direct X 9 and there was no problem starting the program. Did you install both service packs.
First read the following information and download the service packs from the same site: Link Removed due to 404 Error Read the IMPORTANT notice in the beginning because you already installed Acceleration. Hope this will solve your problem

Hello all,

I installed FSX, got S1 to install (after some trouble) but SP@ says I need to be an admin to install, when I right click the file I can't check run as admin, it's grayed out...

And when I try and run the game it seems to hang...

Windows 7, 64 bit.

Am I way off?

Thanks!

I installed W7 Home Premium 64-bit. All went well, until I installed MS Flight Simulator X. Although its installer stated it was installing directx 9, when I try to run Flight Simulator X,, it immediately displays an error message that directx 9 is missing.

Anyone have an idea on solving this problem?

EDIT: Uninstalled FSX cleaned out the directory and reinstalled FSX. It worked. Only then, I installed the Acceleration expansion pack. Now I get the same error message about DX9

Did you try dxdiag to see wether direct x is working correct. I did not encounter any problems concerning direct x.

I resolved the problem by going to the MS site and getting the app that installs the 9.0c runtime. That solved the problem. FSX now runs very nicely on W7. Too bad they don't have another version of FS in the pipeline.

I resolved the problem by going to the MS site and getting the app that installs the 9.0c runtime. That solved the problem. FSX now runs very nicely on W7. Too bad they don't have another version of FS in the pipeline.

Nice for you to find the solution. Can be very helpfull if someone runs into trouble. I am writing a blog about my expiriences with Windows 7 and FS-X at the moment. You can find the English version on FRANSMARKS.NL English

I am thinking about making a sort of FAQ list and I will use your solution as well if you don't mind.

Thanks and good luck

Direct x

I am still puzzeled about the solution for this Direct x problem. On the forum thread DirectX 9.0c Installing Over DirectX11 Problem on Win7 - windows-7 I found this statement:

You do not need to install DX9.0C. DX11 is a superset of DX10.0/10.1, both of which are backwards-compatible with DX9.0C in the sense that DX9.0C software and hardware can run non-DX10/11 code. For this reason you do not install DX9.0C on Vista either, as it is "emulated" (for lack of a better word).

So if you run dxdiag on your system now, what version of Direct x you will see at the bottom of the first tab? You should see Direct x 11 here!

And are you using a beta release of Windows 7 or a final release?

I think what we are seeing here is that there may be backward compatability built into DX11, there is no forward compatability built into FSX. In other words, it expects to find DX9 and is clueless about DX11. Guesswork on my part, but since FSX attempts to install DX9, I suspect I may be close to right.

As for the person who wants to include what I did in a FAQ, it's fine with me. It worked for me, but, as always, YMMV.;)

Back