Installing on second hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by WifflePerson, Oct 11, 2009.

1. WifflePerson

WifflePerson New Member

Hi. I installed the Windows 7 7100 RC on a second hard drive, such that I'm prompted to choose an OS when I boot the computer. When I boot into the Windows 7 OS, none of my programs from the other drive show up in the Programs list--no games, no Firefox, etc. I can still access those files through the Computer sub-menu (i.e. I can click get into my other hard drive), and I can access that drive's files and programs, but, for instance, none of my bookmarks for Firefox (or any other settings) are there, and when I load a game, none of the save games show up. I put Windows 7 on a separate drive so I could use either OS, but I don't want to have to transfer all my pertinent files from the XP drive in order to access them in their proper state. Is there something I can do to alleviate this problem? Could this have something to do with the fact that the C: drive (XP) is set up as the System drive, while the F: drive (W7), is set up as a primary drive? Would formatting the F: drive and reinstalling Windows 7 help? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brandon

2. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

I'm assuming you installed XP first. That would make it the System, Boot, Active and and primary partition.

You cannot re-format that partition.

You could try a freeware program called Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies to change you boot order.

What is the final outcome you wish to receive?

3. SIW2

SIW2 New Member

Hi Wiffle. You can't run programs in 7 that are installed on XP . ( one or two may run as executables, but a lot won't)

You need to install them on 7.

You will also need to transfer ( export) your bookmarks while booted into XP - then Import them while booted into 7.

Files you can access - but programs, settings , bookmarks, profiles etc - all need to be installed on 7 to use them in 7.

4. WifflePerson

WifflePerson New Member

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I'll mainly be using the beta to familiarize myself with the program.