Windows 10 Installing software

Hi

OneGet is a unified interface to package management systems and aims to make Software Discovery, Installation and Inventory (SDII) work via a common set of cmdlets (and eventually a set of APIs). Regardless of the installation technology underneath, users can use these common cmdlets to install/uninstall packages, add/remove/query package repositories, and query a system for the software installed. Included in this CTP is a prototype implementation of a Chocolatey-compatible package manager that can install existing Chocolatey packages.

What?

I'm not sure I really understand what this does.
Could you explain in simple terms?

Does this find the install packages from an online source, or just handle installing software after it's on your computer?

Mke

Nice facility but it is really only for 'insiders'. The PowerShell commands are not really easily accessible by a layman. In Linux the Terminal commands are a bit easier, but even then I prefer to work thru the Software Manager,

2014-10-28_1705.png

I'm not sure I really understand what this does.
Could you explain in simple terms?

Mike, It allows you to install a program via Command Prompt - Power Shell in this case.

So what it the advantage of that over just running the install process in the normal way?
I haven't installed any software though the Command Prompt since DOS. LOL

I believe that in the article they discuss that there will be a GUI interface to come at some later date and I assume it will look much the same way that "Software Manager" works, with a search function that you could simply type something like "TeamViewer" into and you'd get a response listing options (32, 64 bit), maybe alternatives, and some type of download count or star rating, etc.,
It'll be interesting to see how this is fleshed out in the future.
Personally I'm still waiting for Cortana on my desktop. What can I say, I'm a lonely guy and need someone to talk to. :)

Rather a while ago, but if it is the one that crossed my mind, you can select multiple programs, provided they have been placed in the repository and the package manager will fetch them from their internet locations and download them. In Mint, they were also automatically installed in turn. A little easier, I would imagine, in Linux, as they were probably all a choice of freeware/open source.

It has advantages for the daily user, who has more frequent reasons for reinstalling OSs and programs, but , as I envision it, more of a help to those who travel around helping others and installing basic, but needed, software..

Last edited:
Back