Windows 7 Installing Windows 7 on BootCamp

Muscar

I've tried to install windows 7 build 7000 on bootcamp on my macbook. I burned the .iso file on a dvd-r and partitioned my HD. But when I try to start the installation it doesn't find the CD. I've tried to start up with the CD in the drive but it doesn't show up when I press ALT during startup. What can I do? :confused:

Boot into OS X, find your CD and run it. Choose your partition in the install and it will install to that?

Never used a max so i'm just guessing but that should work

OK - Maybe scrap the whole thing you've burnt to a CD and burn your .iso to a Virtual CD?
Virtual CD - The Original

Then boot that and you can install.

edit: just seen its PC only... hang on let me see if i can find anything

edit2: Just done some googleing and found this:

I have definitely mounted ISOs using Disk Utility.

You could probably also do it from Terminal using mount.

B
Try and mount your iso into a Virtual Disk using Disk Utility.

edit3: done some further reading and found an easier way.

Right click the iso, select Open With -> Disk Utility

When Disk Utility opens, you can see the ISO in the left pane where the mounted drives are. You can either mount the ISO as a virtual file system or burn a CD.

You want to mount the iso

Last edited:
OK - Maybe scrap the whole thing you've burnt to a CD and burn your .iso to a Virtual CD?
Virtual CD - The Original

Then boot that and you can install.

edit: just seen its PC only... hang on let me see if i can find anything

edit2: Just done some googleing and found this:

Try and mount your iso into a Virtual Disk using Disk Utility.

edit3: done some further reading and found an easier way.

Right click the iso, select Open With -> Disk Utility

When Disk Utility opens, you can see the ISO in the left pane where the mounted drives are. You can either mount the ISO as a virtual file system or burn a CD.

You want to mount the iso
Ok, I've mounted it but what do I do next? I tried to start installation using bootcamp but it still doesn't recognize it, and I can't open any of the files in the iso.

Last edited:
It seems like you were actually trying to burn a disc by actually putting the ISO file on the disc instead of importing the contents to it. Well, Disk Utility should be able to help, normally I'd be using Disco to burn a disc but Apple's utility should work just as well

1. Insert a blank disc.
  2. Start Disk Utility.
  3. From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned.
  4. In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it.
  5. Click the Burn button and follow the instructions.
After that just run the Boot Camp Assistant and follow the steps. It should be pretty easy after that.

Not quite there yet

The last update I've been able to find is that Apple hasn't released the updated drivers needed by Boot Camp to install the OS. I've seen posts on other sites claiming they've managed the install, only to report that Windows 7 either won't boot or other hardware problems (i.e. no keyboard driver). Best bet right now is to install via a VM (Parallels or Fusion).

muscar?

where did that name come from....

sorry off topic....
haha, well my real name is Marcus so I just moved around the letters and got muscar :p

I currently don't have any dvd-r to burn with so I'll come back when I've got some and tried what you guys said.

haha, well my real name is Marcus so I just moved around the letters and got muscar :p

I currently don't have any dvd-r to burn with so I'll come back when I've got some and tried what you guys said.

Ok ok, Hehe your innocent then... I have a friend whom likes to steal my screen names irl, hs was trying to load win 7 onto his mack using boot camp, I thought you were him.

I got my mac to recognize the windows 7 beta DVD just fine. Did you hold down the C key on startup? Plus something worth mentioning, I already have XP on it and did a dual boot after clicking windows in Bootcamp. So you can say its a double dual boot, but as of right now, I cannot get to my XP protion because its BSODing.... FYI:confused:

Ok ok, Hehe your innocent then... I have a friend whom likes to steal my screen names irl, hs was trying to load win 7 onto his mack using boot camp, I thought you were him.

lol, nope that's not me :razz: this is the guy he's referring to... The other mac guy...

Last edited:
I got my mac to recognize the windows 7 beta DVD just fine. Did you hold down the C key on startup? Plus something worth mentioning, I already have XP on it and did a dual boot after clicking windows in Bootcamp. So you can say its a double dual boot, but as of right now, I cannot get to my XP protion because its BSODing.... FYI:confused:

lol, nope that's not me :razz: this is the guy he's referring to... The other mac guy...

The mac guy with two, count them, 2 microsoft os's on his mac.

I was able to install Windows 7 on my iMac fairly easily. The only problem is the audio drivers at the moment. They are terrible drivers (RealTek High Definition Audio). Everything has a grainy sound to them and the headphone jack doesn't work! Once they fix these drivers, Windows 7 will be awesome on my iMac for playing Left4Dead. :) This is pretty much the only reason I have Windows on my Mac...

Last edited:
Back