Windows 7 Insufficient diskspace?

Commander_Cool

Hi,

I just finished running chkdsk with switches /f and /r on an external drive because Windows backup/restore couldn't use it to store a system image and recommended that I run it.

It took a couple of hours and then the program exited with the message 'Insufficient diskspace to fix volume bitmap'.

Firstly, I don't see how diskspace was insufficient as there are 79GB free out of the total 149GB, why did chkdsk say that?

Secondly, should I worry about this or not? If yes - when I'm done worrying, what can I do about it?

Thank you.

15% is usually the sort of free space requirement so sounds most likely you have some errors on the drive. Best thing for maintaining integrity of storage and of existing data is to copy everything off from it that is needed and run a full reformat.

15% is usually the sort of free space requirement so sounds most likely you have some errors on the drive. Best thing for maintaining integrity of storage and of existing data is to copy everything off from it that is needed and run a full reformat.
I'm afraid you're right Pat, just wish I had somewhere to copy the data to. Is there any disk utility besides chkdsk I might try? This so as to get a 'second opinion' on what might be wrong. Like I said chkdsk just exited without any real explanation as to why except 'insufficient diskspace'.

When inexplicable things like this start to occur I would treat securing of essential data as number one priority. If there is an underlying disk problem it is likely to be further exacerbated by attempts to bypass it and you risk losing data. Do you not have any space on your internal drive to copy it to or maybe borrow another external drive, at worst burn them to dvd's - if you wanted to back it all you wo0uld need at worst about 20 disks.

Hai,
There is no solution to rectify the Volume Bitmap Error by using CHKDSK command.

My hard disk(Seegate GoFlex Free Agent 1TB) has the same problem, So am opened the external plastic box and plug it in the inner SATA Cable and Power from the CPU.

First time am perform the CHKDSK command in the Windows 7 Safe Mode. It shows me the msg "Insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap. CHKDSK aborted.".

So, I have increase the C Drive space to 1850GB (1.85TB), Now I have 1800GB (99%) of free space,
After this process, I opened the Windows 7 Safe Command Prompt mode and did the same process as
mentioned above, Still I getting the same issue "Insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap. CHKDSK aborted."

please find my attachment snap shot of this issue...

If anybody know the solution for this issue please let me know.

Error Image 1: Click Here
Error Image 2: Click Here
Error Image 3: Click Here
Error Image 4: Click Here
Error Image 5: Click Here

Last edited:
@BBM - You need to edit the above post and remove your email address. You should never post your email address in a public forum like this as badguys regularly troll forums and social networking sites looking for legitimate email addresses to add to their spamming lists, or to sell to spammers for their lists. Or worse yet, "spoof" your legitimate address into their spam messages so they look like they are coming from you - not good.

Also, discussing problems via email defeats the purpose of forums - which is a place for all to participate, learn and share.

Commander_Cool said:
Is there any disk utility besides chkdsk I might try?
Yes. You should try the diagnostics program supplied by your disk maker. See Hard Drive Diagnostics - listed by maker. However, do note you may get the same error, and in that case, a "full" (not Quick) format is in order. In the meantime, if there is any critical data on that drive you do not want to lose, I would install that drive into an enclosure, or installed as a secondary drive (not boot drive) into another computer and attempt to copy off any data you do not want to lose.

Also, note when using the /r switch with chkdsk, you do not include the /f switch because as seen by the /? switch, /r "implies" /f.

I am not able to connect my External Hard Disc (details given below) from last two days. So I have opened the external plastic box and plug it in my CPU with inner SATA Cable and Power Cable to access the drive.

Below are the steps which I have tried to access the drive.

Step-1:
I have connected the hard disc to my computer and its showing my external hard disc drive (Local Disc H :). When I try to open the drive, am getting this popup “You need to format the disk drive H: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?”

Step-2:
I tried to access my external hard drive in command prompt so I have given the drive name H: to access the files and folders in command prompt. But it is showing the error H:\ is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Step-3:
I booted my system in Windows 7 operating system safe mode and performed the CHKDSK operation (/f and also /r). It’s also seems to be not working since am getting the error message Insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap. CHKDSK aborted.

So, I have increased my system C Drive space to 1850GB (now I have 1800GB or 99% free) and opened the Windows 7 Safe Command Prompt and did the same CHKDSK process as mentioned above, Still I am getting the same issue "Insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap. CHKDSK aborted."

I don’t get any solution in any one of the above mentioned steps.

I have many important data stored in my hard drive. I want to recover all data in my hard drive. So I request you to provide a solution to fix this issue and recover my data in the hard drive.

Reply from Seagate Technical Support

Thank you for your replyI’m very sorry to hear about the difficulty you’ve had with your drive. I’ve been through a similar situation before myself and life just seems to come to a halt when something like that happens.From the description that you mentioned and attachment , I am sorry but you have a failed drive.

This is the reply, which I have received from the Seagate Technical Support

Thanks & Regards,
B. Balamanigandan
http://www.mrbbm.com

Back