Windows 7 Insufficient memery error

Billnm

Over the past few months I have been getting random “insufficient memory” errors when I run a variety of programs. When the program allows a retry (as, for example, when copying files from one location to another) the retry always works OK. Occurs even with a clean rebuild of Windows 7 and hardly any applications installed. CPU Usage gadget shows plenty of memory still free (in excess of 1 Gb usually) when these errors occur, so it is clearly a memory allocation error, not insufficient RAM. Can occur even when only one application is running. Occurs over many different applications. Seems to get slowly worse (more frequent) the longer the system has been up from the last restart.

Swap file is set to system managed, with 58Gb free on the swap disk, so we aren’t running out of virtual memory.

Scan of computer with both Malwarebyte’s Anti-Malware (with latest database) and Microsoft Security Essentials finds no viruses, etc.

“You may receive an "Out of Memory" error message because of the desktop heap limitation in Windows Vista or in Windows 7”, Article ID: 947246 in MS support recommends running MicrosoftFixit50496 to adjust heap sizes. Did so, but it didn’t fix the problem.

I find nothing else in the various forums that seems to deal with this issue.

System specs:

• ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard
  • i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
  • Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 x 2 memory (4 Gb total)
  • Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, all updates to 6/29/2012 applied

All stand-alone burn in hardware and memory tests run without error, including

• PassMark Burnin Test Pro v. 6.0.1029
  • Memtest86
  • Prime95 stress test
  • Windows 7 memory test

sfc /scannow reports no integrity problems

Any ideas about what might be causing this?

Back
Top Bottom