Windows 8 Intel CPU

I do believe all the iSeries Intel processors now include Intel Video on chip, but if you don't want it.. don't use it :)

It seems to be the way of the future....I've seen to many issues with the auto switching and being able to turn off the onboard GPU of the CPU in the BIOS.....If one installs a separate GPU.

There are many that don't. But much still depends on the motherboard the CPU is installed in. If the motherboard does not support CPU integrated graphics (and many don't) you still need a card.
....I've seen to many issues with the auto switching and being able to turn off the onboard GPU of the CPU in the BIOS.....If one installs a separate GPU.
Oh? Do you have any examples? I ask because the BIOS should disable integrated automatically if you install a card. If that is not happening, I would blame the motherboard/BIOS, and not the CPU.

I note on this Gigabyte board, I initially was using my i7's graphics with W8 until my card arrived. After installing the card, a quick check in Device Manager shows only my card. If I want to use both integrated and my card, I have to go back into the BIOS and manually override the setting to re-enable integrated - and that's how it should work.

No Dig...I sure don't have any examples off hand...it's been awhile since I've seen a post like that. It's just from what I remember and it was quite some time ago as well. Maybe since BIOS updates and revisions of the mobo's, all might be OK.

Do you have the exact steps/procedures from you mobo on how to turn the onboad GPU of the CPU off.

I'm thinking of going Intel on my next build and I will be going with Gigabyte Mobo...

Do you have the exact steps/procedures from you mobo on how to turn the onboad GPU of the CPU off.
As I noted above, it should be automatic. But to be sure, I just checked the manual for my GA-Z77X-D3H board and as suspected, the BIOS options for "Internal Graphics" are:
Enabled
Disabled
Auto (default)​

So, if you leave the BIOS settings alone and you install a graphics card, the BIOS will automatically disable the on-board and boot to the card.

I've been using Intels on all my builds since the Core 2 Duo came out in 2006 with no regrets. And I mostly use Gigabyte boards too (though sometimes ASUS), also with no regrets.

As a whole line of products, Intel CPUs generally provide better performance while consuming less power and generating less heat - with a few exceptions, of course. That said, AMD makes excellent CPUs too so either can be used to form the foundation for a great, reliable computer.

Much is made about AMDs costing less - with folks saying you get more bang for you money. While that may be true, once you factor in the price of the motherboard, case, RAM, power supply, drives, keyboard/mouse, speakers, monitor(s), a "good" UPS with AVR, and OS, then stretch that over the life of the computer, IMO any difference in cost is a wash.

Back