Intel Galileo V2 and You

Discussion in 'Live RSS Feeds' started by News, Apr 3, 2015.

1. News

News Extraordinary Robot
    News Feed

Michael Crump, official Coding4Fun Friend, recently (well in February, that's kind of recent) posted a great getting started guide on one of our favorite shiny topics, Windows IoT and the Intel Galileo V2. What's changeling for some is that that device is currently Win32/C++.

I know I would have a steep learning curve to try to get going with that device, so it's a good thing that Michael stepped up and help all of us up that hill...

IoT with Windows on Devices

The Internet of Things (IoT) allow us to connect people and things around the world using an IPV6 address. With the size of IPV6, we could assign an IP address to every atom on the surface of the earth, and still have enough IP addresses left to do another 100+ earths. In other words, humans could easily assign an IP address to every “thing” on the planet. It isn’t very surprising that we have started to see them being included in “things” such as heart monitoring implants, smart thermostats and garage door openers that use WiFi for remote monitoring.

Where does Microsoft fit in? At //Build 2014 they demonstrated a version of Windows running on a Intel Galileo board. They opened a signup page and off we went. Since //Build 2014, better hardware has been released as well as updated images of Windows for Embedded Devices. We’ve also recently heard about Windows 10 running on a Raspberry Pi 2! Exciting times are ahead for us!

In this post, I’ll take you through the process of what you need in order to get started developing apps that run on Microsoft’s Windows on Devices using the Intel Galileo V2 board. Since we will be using Visual Studio 2013, I’ll show you how you can leverage the Windows platform and utilize familiar Win32 programming.

The Intel Galileo V2 Board

and take a look at setting it up to boot Windows.

Setting up your Intel Galileo V2 Board

The Intel Galileo V2 board points you to the following instructions. I found that the only steps that were particularly important were that you update the Software Drivers and were able to run the blink test on the actual board (not an external LED). If you can do both of these things, then move on to the following steps:

Exploring the Visual Studio Template

Included in the MSI that contains the Galileo Watcher program is a Visual C++ template that allows you to write an app using Visual Studio. It is basically a C++ console app that has references to the Galileo-SDK, so that we can talk to the Arduino side of things. The template looks like the following :

Run It!

As long as you left the default name of your board as mygalileo, you can simply press “Remote Windows Debugger”. It will pop up a message asking for authentication and you should use the following if you haven’t changed it.

This is coming from the code shown earlier.

Writing an App in Visual C#

If you create a new Visual C# console application and change the build options to x86, then you can use certain parts of .NET to write an app for the board. Here is a small app that I wrote that using the System.Threading and System.Globalization namespaces and it runs just fine on my Galileo V2 board :

[​IMG]

[Make sure you click through to read the entire post]

Follow @CH9
    Follow @coding4fun
    Follow @gduncan411

[​IMG]

Continue reading...