Windows 7 Intel Matrix Driver - help

Letum

im running a Asus PK5-E WiFi Mobo, i have a sata raid 0 set up during the installation i specified drivers from a floppy for the raid controller. once everything was done, i check the drivers and im running Microsoft drivers residing in the system32 folder. raid performance is about half the speed it was in XP and im assumeing they are 32 bit drivers vs 64 bit. has anyone been able to load the right drivers and how. any help is appreciated.

I am not familiar with ASUS boards that use Intel Matrix Raid,,,

However,,,,,

This Link will take you to the "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager and Floppy (F6) disk."

I don't know if these will work on your ASUS board or not though.[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]

have tried thoes and several variations. i get the folder you specified dosent contain drivers for you hardware message. it is the RAID/AHCI intel chipset even the matrix manager wont override the Microsoft driver. very frustrating.

im running a Asus PK5-E WiFi Mobo, i have a sata raid 0 set up during the installation i specified drivers from a floppy for the raid controller. once everything was done, i check the drivers and im running Microsoft drivers residing in the system32 folder. raid performance is about half the speed it was in XP and im assumeing they are 32 bit drivers vs 64 bit. has anyone been able to load the right drivers and how. any help is appreciated.

You can get the drivers for your board from here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (click on download)

I tested the download, and you get the RAID folder with the floppy drivers inside (32 and 64bit) you will have to use the vista driver though as no 7 drivers are ready.

If I've read the above post correctly and you've already tried to install these drivers but the os puts microsoft ones on instead then you may have to install them via device manager and the 'have disk' method. Anyway, see how you get on with the above download and if no joy, post back.

Last edited:
appreciate the continued input. tried those downloads and used the method via the device manager same error message device driver is not for my hardware. seems like win 7 is set on not letting me force load a driver like xp would. i found a guide to get it to work using AHCI even on a fresh install could not get it to work. seems a little odd that windows would use a generic 32 bit driver in a 64 bit OS as of right now my single SATA drive is faster than the raid heh.

Unless there is some issue with the ASUS board specifically, which there may be with 7. I don't know.
Then you should be able to use Raid and not AHCI.

Well,, I have a D965WH board which uses Intel Matrix Raid and I have 4 Drives

2 x 250G for the OS in a Raid 0
2 x 500G for Storage in a Raid 1

I have tried both 32Bit and 64Bit, both work just fine.
Unfortunately I can not use 64bit as my Hauppauge is not compatible with 64bit OS.

In fact, I had a drive on my mirror go bad last week, and I had to replace and rebuild the mirror. This all went without a single problem. In Win 7.

I did not have to use the F6 floppy to load any drivers. They are included with windows.

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager Icon doesn't stay shown in the Systray at all, anywhere, but it does pop messages as needed. This is an Intel software issue that needs to be fixed.

I am personally very pleased with Win7.

Unless there is some issue with the ASUS board specifically, which there may be with 7. I don't know.
Then you should be able to use Raid and not AHCI.
agreed, its my understanding regardless of the board manufacturer the intel chipset specifically for the raid is the same and uses the same unified driver. which is why im totally baffled at the fact i cant load any version of the driver i have found 32 or 64.

Well,,, then I would do the following,,,,,,

You may want to reburn the 7 disk at the lowest speed possible.... this has been known to resolve many issues....

Backup all data to a completely different drive.
unhook that drive
Boot system and turn off Raid , AHCI all together
Then load the 7 disk
Run a clean install
Blow away any partitions found
Then shutdown and power off
then turn on and set back to Raid
Then load the 7 disk and try installing without the F6 disk. You "shouldn't" need it.

Beyond that I am not sure what to tell you, but If I think of something and can get back here I'll post it.

ok followed those steps, i deconstructed the raid array. wiped the 2 drives blew out the partitions loaded up win7 made a new partition on one of the drives installed win7. rebooted reset controller to raid and rebuild the raid 0 array installed win7 to the raid went though the installation of chipset, sound, video and matrix drivers. when installing the matrix driver it asked me if i watned to replace the newer 8.5 version driver for an older 7.1 vesion. i told it to run the older version. rebooted and its running the microsoft driver ver 6.1 from the system32 folder this makes no sense to me.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the driver version unless you are having real issues.
If Raid is working now, then that's all that really matters.

But that is just me.

my hard drive access speed on the raid is about half of what it was in xp. games load slower, or while playing and HD access is required it can cause the game to pause for 5-10 seconds. seems to me the drivers are not allowing the hardware to run at its full potential.

That's possible, but I didn't have this problem. My pc is a bit slower now that I am NOT using RAID 0 for my system drive.
It could be driver related. What brand/model drives are you using?

I would test them just to be sure.

sorry for the lapse in communication ive given up on raid but id like to find a solution i suppose. i started with the vista 64 bit driver from asus for my board and i ended up after searching with the intel windows 7 driver. every driver i installed seemed to have the same result, would still run the generic Microsoft driver that is located in the system32 folder this may be a kickback to old windows but im assuming its not a 64 bit driver, that coupled with it being a Microsoft driver is the source of my problem. from what i have been able to read the intel chipset on my asus board is used on several different manufactures and the stand alone intel one will work on any manufacturer with that chipset windows 7 just refuses to recognize it as a valid driver for my hardware taking the power away from the user to force it to load.
im running

2 Western Digital SATA WD2500AAKS-00YA0 for the raid
1 Western Digital SATA WD1600JB-00EVA0 for junk file storage - i unplug this one when installing windows and reconnect it after everything is loaded

Back